Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-09-06

Could use your help with that flour info now smile

Posted: 05 October 2009 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-10-05

Hi, im new to the forum but not to decorating.

i was wondering, is there anywhere that i can buy the Cake Bible for download ? instead of hard copy.

Thanks in advance,
Colleen

Posted: 06 October 2009 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-05
Patrincia - 06 October 2009 12:03 AM

Greetings Colleenm - have you looked in your local library for a copy of TCB?

i just moved to a new state, so i have no idea where anything is here. i did find the michaels though =-)

Posted: 24 November 2009 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-11-24

Hi everyone, I’m Jackie. Just became member 5 minutes ago. I’m a learner & have a long way to go..Looking forward to get to know all here & do guide me. Thank you, very much.

Posted: 02 December 2009 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-12-01

A newbie to the site and to serious baking . . . though a “seasoned” veteran to eating all maner of baked goodies here and abroad. I got started last holiday season with a few pies, some brownies and cookies. Stepping it up this year with even more.  I started with a shoefly pie and loved it, as did my family—love that strong molasses flavor. I’ve also had some experience with gingerbread houses for an annual local contest. This is the best and most helpful site I have found . . . looking forward to a fun experience!

Posted: 05 December 2009 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-11-21

Im a new visitor to the forum.I have already had help from the other folk on here.I live in australia(great place),im a grandmother and its a long time since ive been cooking much as the family have grown up now and live elsewhere but not far away.Years ago I made things that were nourishing but typical of the times.60s.70s,80, I went to simply no knead bread making classes.Went to icing flower classes ,embroidery,floristry classes Ineeded to take things in ,while I was giving thing out.I felt as I read some of the other stories on the forum ,there are mums like me who now have the time to devote to something new.yes lets make great cakes ,pies and
..I dont know about bread,but I envy any person who can just bake bread without ,simply no knead.You are really nice people on this forum,its a pleasure for me to be part of this wonderful idea

Posted: 08 December 2009 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2009-12-05

Hello everyone.  I’m new to the sight, from the beautiful Black Hills in South Dakota.  I’ve been baking for years, and have tried many of the recipes in TCB, but will be making my first wedding cake, and first large cake, for my daughter next July.  I’ve loved everything I’ve read on the sight this past week, you are all so gracious and talented!

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 08 December 2009 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-05

Thank you Bill.  I am going to start with sample 6” cakes from TCB with different fillings for the couple to taste and choose their favorites,  then I will begin practice decorating on small cakes.  I volunteer at a VA hospital and nursing home so I know the staff will be thrilled eating all the ‘practice’ cakes.  I am recuperating from surgery for a few weeks, so I am reading everything I can on this sight, and reading TCB like it was a study book.  I’m already losing sleep with worry it will all go well, so I better get it all down pat and get some solid sleep before July!! smile I’ll keep you posted.

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 08 December 2009 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-05

Thank you for the tip on other tastings, I’ve already started looking and have some great ideas.  I ordered Roses Heavenly Cakes today so I’ll add to my arsenal!

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 08 December 2009 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-11-21

smile Welcome to you montanamom,Im new to the forum,and Iv’e already recieved help.One of my favorite songs since I was young is The black hills of Dakota,a truly beautiful song.Must be a truly beautiful place,and yes the folk on the forum are wonderful and giving

Posted: 13 December 2009 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-13

Hi everyone!
I live in Arizona - I’m new here and am really enjoying reading through all of the posts.
I’ve been baking for quite a while and have recently taken a beginner cake decorating course from my local
community college for fun.
I love my new cookbook Rose’s Heavenly Cakes - I’ve made the Spice cake with peanut butter frosting (divine!)
and the Grand Marnier Wedding Cake (loved it - my favorite cake, I think!). I still refer to The Cake Bible, too, it’s a wonderful
reference.
Glad to be here, I look forward to learning from you all.  grin

Posted: 13 December 2009 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-11-21

welcome ganache 68 .This is a great website,im a new addition here also,I have Just recieved my RHC book.I havent had time to make anything yet as Im making some gingerbread houses for my grandchildren.Have a happy christmas and again welcome to you from aussie land

Posted: 06 January 2010 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-01-06

Dear Rose,
I am a new member of your wonderful, informative website and I just want to thank you for creating such a wonderful platform.
Your website, just like your channel on YouTube is, in one word, addictive. I just cannot tear myself away from it all.
I love baking and trying out new recipes.
I am based out of India, and most of the time, i find myself struggling to procure some of the ingredients that aren’t readily available here. Even getting the most basic ingredient like flour, becomes a little difficult since we don’t have many different kinds of flour available. The most commonly available flour here is the regular milled flour called atta (which has a higher content of bran) which is used for most of our cooking, which is mainly unleavened breads. The other commonly available flour is a finely milled flour, called maida, which is what I mostly use for baking. There is no way for me to know whether the flour is bleached/ unbleached. What would be the best ‘cake flour’, what can i use in place of ‘all purpose flour’ etc.
It’s very frustrating. I’m certain this affects the final output. Is there any help you can offer on this?

I’m certain there must be some specialty stores which stock imported flours but i haven’t found any yet and even if i do, it’s probably going to be prohibitively expensive. (I’m a student, working part time to support myself)

Secondly, I have an electric oven, with heating coils on both the top and bottom. While trying to bake your Downy Yellow Butter Cake, which requires baking both the cakes together, the top cake crust tends to brown more than the one at the bottom. I’m hesitant to open the oven midway between baking to switch their positions, because I’m afraid that will affect the baking. What can i do to stop this? Will covering the top cake tin with aluminum foil help in any way?
I don’t have any of your books yet, but I’ve ordered them and they would take a while to be shipped. I’m certain a lot of questions would get answered once i read your books, but i wanted to bake the cake for one of my dearest friend’s Mom’s birthday, which is next week (The books will not be in by that time).

Please help me.

Jheenie

Posted: 07 January 2010 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-01-06

Thank you Carolita!! smile
For the warm welcome as well as for the link for posting the question directly to Rose’s Blog. I shall do that right away!! Thanks also for suggesting the possibility of refrigerating the batter for the second cake while the first is baking. That definitely seems a better option than baking with the top covered with aluminum foil.

Hope to get some good advice from the members on this.
This blog and forum is so much fun. There’s so much to learn here smile And everyone is so helpful and generous with their advice. I automatically feel reassured.

I recently baked my very first apple pie and it turned out quite all right. I had used Granny Smith apples, and though they were great for cooking, the pie tasted a little too tart on its own (though I balanced that by serving the pie with Vanilla ice cream). I would’ve preferred the apples to be a little more sweet than tart, so this time I’m thinking I will use more than one variety of apples. Do you think Red Delicious will work well with Granny Smith?

I also faced a problem with the pie crust. It wasn’t as crisp/brown as i would have liked it to be. Read the blog for advice on how to get a perfect pie crust and saw Rose’s video on the same as well.

I probably need a new pie dish. I have a metal one, with a removable bottom which doesn’t have holes in it. And because of the heating coils at the bottom of the oven, I can’t bake the pie directly on the floor of the oven.

I’m going to look for a glass dish tomorrow. Hopefully I should find one to my liking.

Can’t wait to try the pie again… as well as the cake. Will keep you posted on the progress.

smile

Posted: 08 January 2010 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-01-04

Hi
I am new alsp amd already have learned so much from reading everyone’s input.  This is great!  I hope to keep honing my baking skills.  Thanks!

5 of 12