7 of 21
Welcome to the Forum
Posted: 24 March 2009 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Rozanne,

Amen to living in the kitchen! I have joked about needing to set up a cot in there. My little ones are 7, 5 1/2, and 2 1/2 - the oldest is a girl and the other two are boys. I love being their mom. Most of the time, I enjoy cooking and baking, but at the end of some days, I wonder why I thought it would be fun to “whip up” a batch of cookies. In my head, it takes only ten minutes to throw a batch together, but, of course, with measuring and clean-up, it ends up taking an hour. Then, it’s suddenly time for dinner and baths and bedtime!!

Momof10, I was thinking about you today as I was throwing laundry in the machine. Are you super-organized? My days go so much more smoothly when I keep everyone on task and doing their chores, including me. I wish I remembered to stay that way every day. Some days, I feel like being slack and then end up recognizing that the slackness leads to trouble!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 24 March 2009 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
momof10 - 24 March 2009 10:59 PM

Man O man… I agree. Give me the preschoolers any day!!  grin When they grow up, their problems just get bigger. On the other hand, it’s indecribable to see your daughter have children of her own and to share the emotions of motherhood with her. And I do adore my grandkids. And you know, I get a better nights sleep on most nights. So really, I wouldn’t go backwards for anything.
Rozanne, you mentioned cakes - do you make them from scratch? I hate to admit it here, but I usually resort to a mix. (Please don’t ban me from the site!)  LOL  Have fun with what’s left of your day - Momof10

I guess every stage of parenting has it challenges and joys!

Yes, I always bake my cakes from scratch. I cannot bring myself to use a boxed mix. Don’t worry no one will ban you from the site but I can’t promise that we won’t try to convert you.  LOL

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 24 March 2009 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
AnneH - 25 March 2009 12:42 AM

In my head, it takes only ten minutes to throw a batch together, but, of course, with measuring and clean-up, it ends up taking an hour. Then, it’s suddenly time for dinner and baths and bedtime!!

OMG, I thought I was the only one on this earth with such unrealistic thoughts when it comes to baking. Glad to know I’m not alone.

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2009 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Hello my baking friends!

I figured it was about time to introduce myself, since I’ve been visiting the forum and Rose’s blog for over a year now. Intended to lurk for awhile to get to know everybody and see how things work around here. Instead I found myself jumping in with both feet.

I saw a question or two I might be able to help with. Then it was questions and more questions when I saw Hector’s beauuuutiful “Copper Topper” cake and decided to try a variation. He was so generous with advice and even posted a template for the star-shaped upper tier. Others were equally generous and knowledgeable, and I continued to chime in whenever I could. I knew I had come to a good home for my ongoing love affair with baking.

When I was young, it never occurred to me to make a career in the culinary world. I suppose many of us baby boomers shied away from the traditionally female occupations like cooking, nursing and teaching so that we could do something *really important*. It’s a pity because what’s more important than food? lol But you’re never too old to explore new directions!  Which is exactly what I did after a) two other careers; and b) taking a few years off to care for my mother who, as it turned out, had vascular dementia.

Meanwhile the love of all things culinary found its outlet in home cooking and to my surprise—with no small degree of trepidation—making my daughter’s wedding cake 11 years ago. Needless to say, it was Rose who held my hand all the way with her amazing Cake Bible. The exercise started simply enough. My daughter just asked me for ideas. Once we worked out the design, there was nothing else for it but that I would make the cake.

When my mother’s condition became such that she was better in professional hands, we selected a good care home, and I went off to baking school. I’d been nurturing that dream while baking for friends off and on during the years after my daughter’s wedding. It seemed like I was getting paid to have fun and learn—which in fact I was! I wondered if it could become my profession.

But this is turning into a book! I’d better cut to the present, which is going to make you smile. It does, me. I didn’t look too hard for a job after graduation two years ago. I needed a break, and there were family issues that needed attention. I kept my hand in by continuing to bake for friends and referrals by word of mouth.

I was just thinking about kicking it up a notch when, out of the blue two weeks ago—this is the *smile* part—I was offered a part-time job in a bakery that’s the perfect antidote to the isolation of working on your own. Have been wanting to drop by and share the news. It seemed like a good time, too, to change my screen name since “Carol” by itself has been used by more than one person on Rose’s blog and maybe also in the forum. My mum used to call me Carolita when I was little—sometimes, she still does.

So this is me, Carolita, and I’m very glad to be here. See you around the forum!

Posted: 23 June 2009 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

WELCOME CAROLITA!!!!  Love your mum’s nickname for you!!  So nice for you to finally introduce yourself.  You are among friends!!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 24 June 2009 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Welcome Carolita! What a great story.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2009 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Welcome Carolita!  Nice to get to know you.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 24 June 2009 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-11-18

CAROLITA:
  Good morning friend.  I am happy to meet you this morning & I am looking forward to reading more of your posts.
Good luck to you Carolita & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID. grin

Posted: 30 June 2009 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Thanks, everyone! For some reason, I didn’t get an email notification that anyone had replied to my post. Sorry if it seemed like I was ignoring you. I have so enjoyed my time on the forum this past year. It has been great getting to know all of you, too! I look forward to sharing many more baking adventures together.

Which reminds me! I’ve got a question, but I’ll post it in the Cakes Q&A section. Catch you later!

Posted: 09 July 2009 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-07-09

Hello Everyone,

It was fun visiting the site and was overwhelmed with all the nice and friendly staff, and, oh, i can’t forget, members. I knew everyone was chatting but i couldn’t figure for the life of me where it was all coming from. Please, forgive me for being so ignorant. But, i am so happy I found your forum. By the way, I am from the wet and cold Olympia and I have 6 goats to keep me busy.

Posted: 09 July 2009 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Welcome Gingerr!  Pleased to ‘meet’ you!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 10 July 2009 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Welcome Gingerr!

Signature 

Posted: 18 August 2009 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-08-18

Hello All!  I am very happy to have found this site!

I’m a pastry chef in Curacao, and am very excited to have a source for my wedding cake questions…:)

sarasu

Posted: 19 August 2009 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Welcome Sarasu! Looking forward to postings from you.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 19 August 2009 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Welcome, Sarasu!  Hope you’ll post pictures of your cakes.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

7 of 21