Question re: Basic Sourdough Bread from BB—First expansion is doubling VERY quickly
Posted: 24 April 2009 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi All, I just wanted to check in with some of the more experienced bakers as I am still fairly new.  I am following the basic sourdough recipe in the BB and using a starter that I nurtured according to the instructions in TBB.  I have made this recipe once before and it worked exactly according to the directions.

I am now making this recipe for the second time (it’s one week later), and am making a double recipe.  I started expanding the starter this morning.  The recipe says that the first expansion should go until doubled, about 6-8 hrs.  Mine is already more than doubled and it has only been just over 2 hours.

Which is the more important, time or volume?  Should I move on to the second expansion?  Or wait a little longer?

Thanks,
Derek

Posted: 24 April 2009 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Always go by volume, so move on when it doubles.  It must be very warm where you are—I would consider reducing the amount of starter used—I think there is a note about that at the end of the recipe.

Posted: 24 April 2009 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks for the info.

I’m in Miami but it isn’t especially warm.  I’m using the oven with the light turned on so it should be somewhere in the 80s.  Maybe it’s just especially active today.

Thanks for calling my attention to the note at the end of the recipe.  It was indeed there.

Posted: 24 April 2009 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

To have a starter so lively is a great blessing! Mathew is as usual right.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 24 April 2009 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Hi DK,  You are indeed fortunate to have such an active starter.  In the world of sourdough I consider “somewhere in the 80s” very warm.  You probably don’t need to put it in the oven at all.  The faster it rises the less sour taste you will get in your bread.

Annie

Posted: 25 April 2009 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

that is correct, go by volume, and YES i also get sometimes a 2 hour rise, sometime a 6 hour rise, and sometimes a 16 hour one.  it is just the nature of sourdough (how active it was to begin with and temperature), also water quality, salt, and how vigorously kneading it received!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

‹‹ Hamburger Buns      Cinnamon Bun recipe ››