Mocha Chiffon
Posted: 24 April 2009 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2009-04-24

Hi, guys!  I just discovered this forum and I find it very educational.  I am a baking and pastry student and I have lately been practicing a lot with cakes.

A friend of mine is celebrating her 40th birthday and I want to make her cake.  She wants a Mocha Chiffon cake that we used to have growing up in Manila.  Problem is I can’t find a recipe that I can use for a 12x18 sheet cake (with 2 layers).  I have searched this forums and I found a few discussions regarding chiffons but not particularly about this subject.

Does anyone have any idea how I can alter the recipe in the Cake Bible to convert to mocha chiffon on a 12x18 sheet?  Any tips for success (such as not collapsing)?  Do I have to invert the pan suspended or can I leave right side up on the pan?

I am also planning on trying out the Mousseline buttercream and flavoring it to make it a Mocha buttercream.  That will be the filling and frosting for the cake.

FYI, I have tried a yellow chiffon cake recipe from the Professional Baking by Wayne Glissen and converted it by adding instant coffee to the flour.  I made it in 3 8in round pans.  It turned out not too bad but not as light and airy as I wanted it to be.  I was planning on trying the recipe in a 12x18 with no alterations in the proportions of the ingredients.  But reading the chiffon troubles in this forum, I’m worried that might not work out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!  Love the forums!

Jess

Posted: 25 April 2009 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1411
Joined  2007-11-15

Welcome!  I would bake several 12x9 and assemble them together.  I am almost certain a chiffon will sink in the middle when wider than 12”

You could also bake half or full sheets only 1” deep.  With such shallow height the chiffon will rise and set in the oven quite rapidly and also won’t sink much when cooling.

Yes, can’t cool these uoside down and texture could be less airy, but chiffon is chiffon and still great at any height!

For elaine’s 7 cake wedding, one was a 3 tier baked on 3-5-7 x 3 deep pans.  At this narrow width, texture was great and great sides support and hardly any collapsing.  My recipe is on Rose’s Melting Pot.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 25 April 2009 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

Thanks, Hector!  I will give that a shot this afternoon.  I will try two 9x12 for practice and see how that turns out.

I am also trying out the Star Spangled Rhapsody but varying it using strawberries and orange liqueur for flavoring.  I am in charge of desserts for a friend’s farewell party tomorrow so I will bring the strawberry cream cake and the mocha cake.

I am crossing my fingers that both turn out well.  Finish the meringue disks right now and hopefully finish assembling in a few hours so the cake can sit in the ref for a day.

Thanks a lot!

P.S. By the way, I saw that you are from Hawaii.  And it looks like your partner Luca is in Hilo?  My partner and I had our honeymoon in the Big Island after our Toronto wedding last year.  We stayed at in Kailua for half a week and then a few days at Pahoa.  I loved Hawaii and we would definitely come back again!

Jess

Posted: 26 April 2009 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Jess, be sure to stop by next time planning Hawaii.  Aloha.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2009 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

Thanks for your advice, Hector!  The mocha chiffon turned out pretty well using 9x12 pans.  I used the Classic Buttercream from the Cake Bible and added Godiva chocolate liqueur and Kahlua.  Everyone loved the cake.

The strawberry version of the Star Spangled Rhapsody also turned out very well.  The only thing I notice is that it seems like the Mousseline buttercream holds up better in heat than the Classic Buttercream.  It got unseasonably warm in Chicago yesterday (in low 80s for spring) and some of my shells piped on the border too close to the edge fell.  That didn’t happen with the Mousseline buttercream.  So next time I know I’ll use the Mousseline if it will be a bit warm.

I appreciate the help!

Posted: 27 April 2009 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Very good!  There isn’t any stronger REAL buttercream than mousseline if and only if the sugar in the italian meringue has been heated up to EXACTLY 248oF

Signature