2 of 4
Charlotte Bake-Off
Posted: 26 April 2009 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17
Rozanne - 26 April 2009 03:46 AM

... my kids decided to help themselves to a piece.

That’s the best compliment ever! 

That’s a beautiful Charlotte, Rozanne!

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 26 April 2009 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Thanks Tammy. You are right. Kids are so honest and if they don’t like it they’ll let you know. They ate more than one piece.  smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 26 April 2009 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Phew - I finished my Chocolate Chip charlotte, but won’t have time to post the photos yet. How did y’all like the tastes of yours? Will you make it again? What tips would you offer? I hope to answer these questions from my own experience and post photos tomorrow. For now, I’m off to bed. I’m starting a new temp job tomorrow doing a corporate tax return for several weeks! Getting those brain cells some good exercise!! I wish they would burn the calories I’ve consumed today! smile

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 26 April 2009 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Good luck in your new job Anne. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2009 02:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Finished my Lemon Charlotte! (It’s a small one, made in a 6-inch round pan.)
I’ll be posting it on my blog tomorrow.  Bungalow Barbara
In the meantime, here are some pictures:

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 27 April 2009 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  774
Joined  2007-11-15

I really like the look of that one!  Anything lemony hits the spot with me! wink

Posted: 27 April 2009 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

WOW!! All the charlottes from everyone look absolutely delicious, not to mention gorgeous!! Couldn’t attempt one last weekend as I had 3 cakes to bake; but all these posts are so inspiring!

Posted: 27 April 2009 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

What wonderful charlottes!  It really makes the world a small place when we are baking similar recipes at the same time all from the Cake Bible.

Notes on my experience. 

Firstly I don’t have cake flour so used 75% unbleached plain (all-purpose) and 25% corn flour (corn starch).  This was also the first time I’d made biscuit, but it turned out great (maybe not quite as high as it should have, but light as a feather).  I had no problems rolling it up.  I made a small ‘jelly roll’ using left-over passion fruit mousseline from a previous cake with the cut off after making the round base.  It was delicious.  I used locally made raspberry preserve but did not remove the seeds.  My biggest problem/question was figuring out how to line a bowl with circles and not have any gaps.  This I did not achieve. When I poured the semi-set bavarois into the cake lined bowl, the little triangular gaps immediately filled up.  I still cannot see how this can be avaoided but the picture in the Cake Bible does not show any seepage.  Also, I think I could have made the jelly roll tighter but I did use Rose’s method - maybe not aggresively enough!

I added kirsch to the bavarois and it was superb - silky smooth with a heavenly texture.  As the bowl was lined with cling-film, no problems when removing it on to the plate.  I then glazed it with seived apricot jam.  I think it looks a bit ‘rough’ but all the tasters gave very high pariase.  My sister, who tastes most of my baking, said it was one of the best ever.  I will definitely make it again and it was well worth the effort.

But most of all, fellow bloggers, it was fun to make with you guys!

Annie

Posted: 27 April 2009 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Barbara, love the look of your Ethereal Lemon - which recipe did you use?

Annie

Posted: 27 April 2009 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Barbara, your Charlotte is stunning!!!

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2009 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Barbara, I can’t wait to read about your Charlotte!  I love your blog and learn a lot from it.  I’ve been following it for a while.  You are so creative.  Leave it to you to create your own unique Charlotte!

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 April 2009 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Thank you, everyone! You’re making me blush!

Finally posted:
http://bungalowbarbara.blogspot.com/2009/04/baking-with-rose-charlotte-challenge.html

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 27 April 2009 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Okay, my first day of work is behind me! Here are the photos of my charlotte - it’s not going to win a beauty contest!

P4260050

I had fun making it, but I did it in a hurry. I wish I’d allowed myself more time to enjoy the process!

As you can see, some of the whipped cream seeped out along the joints where each slice of genoise overlapped. I didn’t think through the necessity of being careful when applying the thin layer of whipped cream to each slice - I’ll remember that next time. I had a little bit of a hard time keeping the ganache from sticking to the greased foil, so I lost some of it when I lifted the slices to line the bowl. I’ll chill the frosted cake a little longer next time before slicing it and will also grease the foil a little more heavily.

I’m looking forward to the cookies in a couple of weeks! And, then, to the sneak peek of the yummy chocolate cake posted on the blog…

Anne

Boy, is this thing ugly. I’m almost too embarrassed to post it. wink

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 27 April 2009 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Anne, your Charlotte looks wonderful. Don’t be embarrassed. I think you did a great job. I found it easier to apply the syrup and the whipped cream before I placed the strips of cake into the bowl. I had a hard time trying to get the strips to stay in place. Have to figure it out the next time I make it. I used parchment paper instead of foil and found that the ganache didn’t stick to it at all. The reason I used parchment is b/c I totally forgot I was supposed to use foil.  LOL

Next up is cookies on Mother’s Day and one of the two recipes from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes for Father’s Day.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2009 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Thanks for trying to make me feel better, Rozanne! It really won’t hurt my feelings if y’all agree with me about how ugly it is!! wink I know I could have done a better job if I had taken the time. I also mixed up six batches of cookies last week and got myself into too much baking. I just wasn’t in the mood by the time the charlotte assembly rolled around! Too bad.

That was smart to apply the syrup and whipped cream before putting the cake into the bowl. AND, I’ll try inverting the cake onto parchment next time, too.

Signature 

Anne

2 of 4