1 of 2
Keeping cupcakes moist
Posted: 27 April 2009 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-04-27

Hello all…

I am an experienced cupcake baker, but a newbie to the blog.  I thank you all for the wonderful resources, information and guidance that I’ve already found just by reading here.
I have a vanilla cake recipe that I really like.  It calls for AP flour, which I prefer for my cupcakes because I like the way the courser texture holds up to classic buttercream (trying the Mouselline recipe out today), but I recently started making mini-cupcakes and b/c of the smaller size, they are drying out within a day.  Does anyone have a recipe or tip for an extra moist cake that will work well for mini cupcakes and stay moist for at least 3 days.  I have an vegetable oil-based red velvet cake recipe that is PERFECT for this, but I’m wondering how to convert this to a yellow vanilla cake that is equally as delicious. 

Thanks!!

Posted: 27 April 2009 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Take a look at cake recipes that call for sour cream in the batter. In my experience, sour cream does improve the moisture of cakes. Lisa Yochelson is the author of books that contain sour-cream based cakes (see “Baking by Flavor” and “Chocolate, Chocolate.” (The latter book, despite the name, has a few recipes for vanilla cakes.)

Take a look at Rose’s pound cake recipes in “The Cake Bible.” I used her basic pound cake as a basis for a rum cake I am developing. It was brushed with rum-flavored syrup and stayed moist for several days.  Another recipe from that book is the Grand Marnier cake, which calls for sour cream and is brushed with syrup. Even though both of these cakes are traditionally baked in tube pans or bundt pans, I don’t see why these wouldn’t work as mini-cupcakes.

Another idea is to stay with your favorite recipe and either freeze the cupcakes as soon as they are cool (this helps to preserve the moisture, in my experience) or brush them with a little bit of simple syrup, which will infuse them with additional moisture and help to preserve them. You have to experiment with how much syrup will work. Too much, and you end up with a soggy mess.

Posted: 27 April 2009 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

You could also consider taking your favorite recipe and modifying it so it contains some oil.

The simplest thing is to take about a quarter of the butter in your recipe and replace it volume-for-volume with oil. This isn’t exact, because butter is about 80% fat by weight, while oil is 100% fat. If you want to be more exact you’ll need to do some calculations. I’ve never done this myself, but maybe someone else has? Chime in, folks!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 28 April 2009 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

LAUREN:
  Good morning. Welcome to our culinary club. Mamber Bungalow Barbara gave you a sound idea, you can consider sub’t. with the oil/butter. The math is not difficult. However as you know Lauren, the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. Sooo,
consider then just melt the butter amount you wish to consider, & mix it in.
  Laurean, If you want a true & well established techique to keep ANY BAKED PRODUCT moist for a longer period & all you need to do is the following. Reduce the sugar content by no more than 1/3rd of the recipe amount & add equal amount of honey by weight. It does so because honey attracts the moisture in the air…you will notice the moisture on the top surface of your muffin after baking & it begins to cool. I do this 100% of the time & without fail.
  Well lauren, t tongue laugh his is all I have for you today. Good luck in your baking & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 28 April 2009 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Freshkid, What a fabulous idea with the honey.  I never knew that - am going to try it immediately.

Annie

Posted: 28 April 2009 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Freshkid,
That is a great tip! So do you do this with cakes also?? Does the honey leave a different taste in your muffins though?

Posted: 28 April 2009 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

SKIWEAVER9:
  Good morning. No ski, it doesn’t taste any different. Yes it works with any baked product., except shortbread cookies… because those type of cookies do not use hydration & honey is a liquid.
Good luck in your baking & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 28 April 2009 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-27

Fantastic!  I apologize for the delay in response.  I thought about the oil substitution because my red velvet cake NEVER dries out.  So, yesterday I made the same recipe, but left out the red coloring and doubled up on the vanilla.  It was absolutely moist and really delicious, but my husband said that it didn’t taste like a “vanilla cake”.  It tasted like a vanilla-like velvet cake, which isn’t good enough.  I am going to try the 50-50 with oil and butter today.  I think the absence of butter-richness is what was lacking.
The honey is a REALLY exciting idea.  I’m going to try that today too…thanks so much!!

Posted: 28 April 2009 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-27

Christine…I love the syrup idea as well because there are so many wonderful flavors I can add.  How much syrup would you approximate I would need per cupcake?  Thanks!

Posted: 28 April 2009 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

ANNIE/MAC/D…SKI…LAUREN:
  Hello again Ladies. You must excuse my omission. I forgot to mention to you that when emploing honey you must reduce the baking temp 20-25 degrees because it is sugar & aids in quick carmelization of the baked product. I should also suggest to sub’t
less than the 1/3rd MAX of the recipe sugar amount (BY WEIGHT). I do only about 20%. Of course as you bake you can experiment with the
various amounts to satisfy your taste.  Due to my advanced age I have a tendency to forget very easily these days. I am glad I rememered this time.
  Good luck in your baking ladies.

~FRESHKID. tongue wink

Posted: 28 April 2009 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Casper - you are always a wealth of good information!!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 April 2009 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Patrincia - 28 April 2009 09:12 PM

Casper - you are always a wealth of good information!!!

Ditto!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 April 2009 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Lauren, please keep us posted on your results as you experiment—I love to hear about this sort of thing and we can all learn from your successes and failures. (Hope there will be many more of the former than the latter.)

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 29 April 2009 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-27

I definitely will keep you posted…I plan to try again today.

Posted: 29 April 2009 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Let me know how it turns out. I have the CI yellow cupcake recipe that I am making this weekend and am tempted to try the honey trick but I am afraid lol. I won’t get to taste these cupcakes before they are served!!

Posted: 29 April 2009 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

I just made a batch of banana cupcakes and replaced 60g of sugar with the same weight of honey (total 280g sugar was asked for).  They are super-moist.  I’ll try one again tomorrow and report back.  Thanks Freshkid for the tip.

Annie

1 of 2

‹‹ Royal Icing Question      Rose’s Books ››