Keeping cupcakes moist
Posted: 27 April 2009 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-04-27

Hello all…

I am an experienced cupcake baker, but a newbie to the blog.  I thank you all for the wonderful resources, information and guidance that I’ve already found just by reading here.
I have a vanilla cake recipe that I really like.  It calls for AP flour, which I prefer for my cupcakes because I like the way the courser texture holds up to classic buttercream (trying the Mouselline recipe out today), but I recently started making mini-cupcakes and b/c of the smaller size, they are drying out within a day.  Does anyone have a recipe or tip for an extra moist cake that will work well for mini cupcakes and stay moist for at least 3 days.  I have an vegetable oil-based red velvet cake recipe that is PERFECT for this, but I’m wondering how to convert this to a yellow vanilla cake that is equally as delicious. 

Thanks!!

Posted: 28 April 2009 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-27

Fantastic!  I apologize for the delay in response.  I thought about the oil substitution because my red velvet cake NEVER dries out.  So, yesterday I made the same recipe, but left out the red coloring and doubled up on the vanilla.  It was absolutely moist and really delicious, but my husband said that it didn’t taste like a “vanilla cake”.  It tasted like a vanilla-like velvet cake, which isn’t good enough.  I am going to try the 50-50 with oil and butter today.  I think the absence of butter-richness is what was lacking.
The honey is a REALLY exciting idea.  I’m going to try that today too…thanks so much!!

Posted: 28 April 2009 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-27

Christine…I love the syrup idea as well because there are so many wonderful flavors I can add.  How much syrup would you approximate I would need per cupcake?  Thanks!

Posted: 29 April 2009 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-27

I definitely will keep you posted…I plan to try again today.

Posted: 30 April 2009 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-27

I just tried a batch and substituted half of the butter with vegetable oil.  I took your advice FRESHKID and melted the butter, then replaced with the equal amount of oil.  It was great!  Actually the cake was lighter, fluffier and sooo moist.  Thanks for the great advice.  I didn’t have enough honey on hand to try that one yet, but Im glad to hear that it was successful for Annie.  I’m going to test that one soon.

Lauren