My bread rolls
Posted: 28 April 2009 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

I amtrying to post pictures of my latest bread baking venture!  Failed earlier, but had some advice from skiweaver so will now try again.  If successful, I will then explain about them.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

Image Attachments
phpMchggrPM.jpg

Posted: 28 April 2009 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

YAY!!!! I did it!  Thanks to Skiweaver who explained to me how to resize my pictures. I feel I’ve just jumped over a big hurdle.
Now. about the rolls.  Sorry, they are not from the Bread Bible but from a book by Richard Bertinet, a Frenc baker who has a baking school in Bath, England.  I was lucky enough to go on one of his bread courses last year and I use his book quite often with great success.  The rolls pictured are made with half wholemal and half white bread flours and using fresh yeast.  He prefers fresh yeast and I must admit I like using it because I get such good results with it.  The star-shaped rolls were dipped in water and then dipped in poppy seeds.  I think they would look nice in a mixed bread basket for a dinner party when entertaining.
-

Posted: 28 April 2009 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18

JEANETTE:
  Good evening my friend. About your yeasted lean bread…GOOD JOB. grin  Question my friend, do your seeds come off easily when in handling???.
  By the why my late wife’s mother was born in Bath England. My mother in law said Bath was a ship building town. Her dad was a ship carpenter.
  Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 28 April 2009 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you for your interest in my baking, Freshkid.  No, I haven’t found the seeds fall off TOO much although a few do end up on the plate
of course!  Interesting fact about Bath which I wasn’t aware of.  It is famous for its’ hot springs and has a strong tourist trade because of these.  My younger son lives and works there and I love to visit there because it is such a beautful city.  The architecture there is Georgian and the local stone ( called Bath Stone ) is a lovely yellowish colour.  It is very popular place with Americans on vacation here.  Much, much nicer than London!
Perhaps your MIL was from between Bath and Bristol, which was definitely a ship building area, and not too far from Bath.  It is situated on the Bristol Channel so has dock areas on its thresh-hold.  I hope this is of interest to you, Best regards. grin

Posted: 28 April 2009 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18

JEANNETTE:
  Hello again. Thank you for the geography lesson. Of course all I know is what was told to me many years ago. Of course if there is a Bristol Channel that is where the big boats would get built. Do they still build ships there & do they build them for the Royal Navy as well????.
Good day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 28 April 2009 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Jeannette, those bread rolls look really, really good. May I order a dozen please?????

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 28 April 2009 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Woo-hoo Jeanette.  Lovely photo!  How in the world did you shape the star rolls?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 28 April 2009 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Patrincia,  the star rolls are really easy to do but I had the benefit of the pictures in the book to help me!  However, if you can follow these directions, you’ll see how easy they are.  FOrm the dough into buns, flatten them with your palm, then use a card, eg. a clean credit card is ideal, and make 3 cuts in a star shape right through the dough but leave the outer edge intact.  Dip them in water then seeds, then turn them over and push the inner points through the centre to the other side.  You will now have a hole in the centre.  Leave to prove and they will puff up.  Hope you understood that!

I still log on to your blog which I really like to read, loved the pictures of your home but where is your picture?  Still can’t leave a comment, I notice Anna has a blog very similar to yours and I can’t leave comments on hers either.  Very frustrating, LOL! red face

Posted: 28 April 2009 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Jeannette, I love your rolls.  I bet they taste as good as they look.

Annie

Posted: 28 April 2009 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Those look wonderful Jeannette!

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 28 April 2009 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Lovely, Jeanette, I always admire bread, as I am still very much a beginner!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 28 April 2009 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I am amazed at anyone who can make bread! They look great!!