All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cupcakes
Posted: 03 May 2009 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

SO i gave it one more try..
1) I made a half batch (made about 21 cupcakes), and filled liners anywhere from 26g-30g. See picture #1. The ones on the left side of the pan were 30g filled, and the ones on the right are 26g filled. I baked them at 350 for 14 minutes!  I increased the baking powder to 1.5 tsp (per a post I read) and you can see they flattened up evenly.  Am I correct in assuming that if i do LESS powder next time they will dome up more??
2) I ran out of muffin liners so I made some without and they were VERY SMALL!  See the pictures.
3) When I took a cupcake out of the pan, I almost launched it across the room as I didn’t realize how LIGHT THEY WERE!
4) I made milk choc ganache, and attempted to pipe it on with tip 1M. As you can see in the pics, it worked good for what, 3 cupcakes and then got hard and clogged. i have SUCH a hard time with ganache. I tried cleaning out the tip and warming, and it got clogged again. Can you buy a plastic 1M tip?? if so, would this make my life easier?? 
5) I gave up piping and reheated ganache and dipped cupcakes into it.

Final Conclusion:
1) Cupcakes taste GREAT, This is definately a keeper for yellow cupcakes, but next time I would like them bigger.
2) Ganache tastes GREAT but makes me very mad.

Image Attachments
DSC01756.jpgDSC01760.jpgDSC01761.jpgDSC01762.jpg

Posted: 03 May 2009 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Hello, Ski, nice cupcakes!  I bet they were delicious!

1. Yes, increased baking powder is for flat tops, if you like rounded tops, don’t change the baking powder. 
2. Yes, same thing happens to me, cakes bake up very differently in different pans- ceramic and silicone are very different from metal, and unlined different from lined. Interesting, but I’m not sure I have a good explanation.
3. The lightness is lovely, isn’t it?
4. Many people use plastic for piping chocolate, for the reason you gave.  When I work with chocolate for dipping, I keep the bowl on a heating pad.  Maybe resting the bag for short periods in a warm place might help?  Or maybe adding a little more cream to the ganache when you are making it?  Rose’s dark ganache already has a little more cream to make it easier to work with, is that what you used?  Did you use 57% chocolate? Or something with a higher cocoa content?  Higher cocoa content needs additional cream to reach the same consistency.
5. I’ve done this, too!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 03 May 2009 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

i used Lindt milk chocolate (what the book said) and then 60% bittersweet chocolate. So it was the regular milk choc ganache. Where do I get a plastic Tip 1m?? I have been searching on the internet and I can’t find any!?

Posted: 03 May 2009 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

They look so good!  The All-Occasion cake is the favorite in my house.

Posted: 03 May 2009 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Ski, I think you must be leaving the ganache to set too much before piping.  I usually have the opposite problem as the heat from my hands makes it runny and I have to pop the piping bag in the fridage for a few minutes.  You should pipe it when it is starting to set but is not hard.

Annie

Posted: 04 May 2009 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

hmm maybe i am, but then i heated it up again and got it soft but it just got so hard so quick!!  I really love the taste of ganache but this ordeal with piping it is making me crazy!!  WHen I made the sour cream ganache it piped so much easier, so i might have to use that next time lol.

I am thinking also of making these cupcakes again not changing the amount of baking powder and also using FreshKids honey trick. Do you think the honey will make them heavier??

Posted: 04 May 2009 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18

SKI#9:
  Good morning Ski. Just to answer your????. NO!!!, it will not be heavier if you remove say 2, oz of sugar & replace same with 2, oz of honey.
  Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 04 May 2009 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

they are the same weight, DUH i dont know why I thought they would be heavier (Its monday)

Posted: 04 May 2009 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Your cupcakes look good even though they didn’t turn out the way you wanted them to. The ones you baked without the liners and dipped in ganache look like donuts. I have never seen the 1M tip in plastice either.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 May 2009 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Hi, all! I missed FRESHKID’S honey trick - fill me in!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 04 May 2009 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Here’s the link Anne.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1013/

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/