Is it safe to leave shelled eggs in the oven with a pilot light overnight?
Posted: 04 May 2009 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-10-16

In the Cake Bible, for the Chocolate Oblivian Truffle Torte, Rose says that “The eggs may also be heated by
placing them still in their shells in a large mixing bowl in an oven with a pilot light for 3
hours or up to overnight.”

In my food safety course they said that eggs should not be out at room temperature for more than 2 hours or 30 minutes to 1 hour when it’s 85?F or hotter without refrigeration.

Is it safe to leave the shelled eggs in the oven overnight?

Posted: 04 May 2009 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-16

Thank you Fresh Kid. If it is safe to leave the shelled eggs in the oven overnight then I will use that method because it will save me some time. If not, then i’ll use the double broiler method she suggests to heat the eggs.

Posted: 04 May 2009 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-10-16

Thank you for all the responses. I asked an instructor at the local Culinary Arts school and she said it doesn’t sound right to her. It would be nice to save time and place the eggs in the oven overnight, but I think I’ll stay on the safe side and use the double broiler method.

Posted: 05 May 2009 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Hector, speaking of eggs, you’ve mentioned before that you always use frozen egg whites and yolks. Do you bring them home from the grocery store and separate and freeze them immediately? Do you freeze them all in one container or do you freeze them individually? I like to buy the pasteurized eggs for the frostings in TCB and have started freezing them. But, I haven’t thawed and used them yet.

Signature 

Anne