Dry Yellow Cake
Posted: 04 May 2009 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-05-04

I made a yellow cake last weekend from the Cake Bible and had not so great results.  It was beautiful, rose nicely, and the taste is good, but it is so dry you can hardly eat it.  I used 8” pans and baking strips, did not over bake. 

Anyone else have this problem with the yellow cake recipe, and if so, any suggestions for a moister cake?

TIA,
Cindy

Posted: 04 May 2009 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07

Hi Cindy,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure the experts will try to help you, but I will offer my two cents. I am new to cake making but I have successfully made the All Occassion Downy Yellow Cake. Is this the Yellow Cake you are referring to? I think in order to get the best help you will have to give more information about which recipe you used and what process you went through. Did you weigh or measure? etc. Based on my experience and the help of the experts on this forum, I have learned that in order to make a successfull moist cake from the CB you must make sure the exact weight (or measurments) for the ingredients are used. I prefer to weigh my ingredients to get everything as exact as possible. You must also make sure your oven temperature is correct by using an overn thermometer, and you must follow the mixing instructions exactly. I did learn from experience that the mixing times in the CB are for a stand mixer only. When I used my hand mixer I had to mix about twice as long on high speed than the times indicated in the directions. Also, I take my cakes out of the oven when there are a few crumbs sticking to the tester. The cake continues to cook for about 5-10 minutes after its out of the oven, and this way I don’t risk taking the cake out too late and it is dry. Also, since I live in a dry climate, my cakes tend to come out drier than normal. Sometimes I add 2 tbs of oil or butter to add extra moisture.  I hope this helps. And lastly… If you are looking for a more moist cake, I think the Rose’s favorite cake, the Yellow Sour Cream Cake is extremely moist.

~belasuna

Posted: 05 May 2009 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-05-04

I measured by level scoop then sifted.  Made the cake in the am, ate a slice in the evening.  Eating another slice the next day, it was the same.

Next time I’ll measure by weight and will slightly under bake.

Posted: 05 May 2009 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-05-04

Thanks so much, everyone.  I’ll try again.  I will also try the sour cream yellow cake, it sounds yummy!

Posted: 20 August 2009 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2008-08-16

Been scanning this thread but a question popped into my mind.  Does it matter the type of butter you use? I think they do vary…. Just curious…

Posted: 13 September 2012 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-08-07

I’m not sure how old this thread is, but here goes: I too have made the Downy Yellow Butter cake…the first time I did it, was HEAVEN! And the second time, somehow the batter ‘grabbed’ the sides of the cupcake liners, and I had a dense ‘short’ cake….still good, but a bit ‘squatty body’ if you know what I mean. After that, I made sure to ‘bang’ (tap is a bit understated) the pan on the table to be sure air bubbles are out and batter drops to the bottom of the cups. Works for me.

Anyway, since then I must’ve seen where I was not sifting the flour first….so did that. Perfect 300 grams of sifted cake flour. Then I had a ‘puffy cookie-thing’ going on in the oven….puffy and drooping all over the pan. Took them out…tasted wonderful, but no structure. Now, I’ve learned to weigh, have a good scale and have changed the battery; have learned ‘sifted flour’ versus ‘flour, sifted’....but for me, when I do the ‘sifted flour’ with this recipe, it’s a structural disaster. As I had nothing to lose, I added a cup more of flour to the batter (spoon method) and rebeat for 1 minute. It salvaged what otherwise would have been a lot of wasted ingredients.

So, my question is, ‘why’, if I did as per instructions ‘sifted cake flour’ to 300 grams, did it blow up and fall apart??? I can only assume that the first time I made the cupcakes with this recipe, I measured or weighed, then sifted, and used all of the flour I measured/weighed. Temp in oven is fine…have thermometer. Ingredients at room temp…follow recipe meticulously (with exception of first time, probably sifting after weighing out).

The recipe doesn’t work for me if I measure out the ‘sifted’ flour….it’s not enough flour to hold the structure of the cupcakes.

Am I living on the moon, or does anyone else have this problem??

Posted: 01 October 2012 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-08-18

I sort of had the same problem, except with the sour cream yellow cake.  I made them in cupcakes, instead of a cake…they rose just to the top, were nice and flat, but were really dry.  I weighed the ingredients, and the oven temp has been checked, so that isn’t the problem, and I don’t think I’m overbaking them, but maybe I am? Generally, I find straight butter cakes a little on the dry side…

For those of you who have added a couple tablespoons of oil to help with moisture, do you subtract out any of the butter? If so, did you add any additional liquid? Do you just add the oil with the liquid ingredients or do you add to the butter?