Aprons
Posted: 04 May 2009 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Does anyone know where to get a good apron? I have, I think, five and two are really nice but I can’t stand having something pull on my neck so I fold them around my waist. I am looking for something that isn’t U-shaped but something that will go more around the shoulder are than directly around your neck. ? I thought of a smock-type but that would be my last resort….

Posted: 05 May 2009 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07

Hi Bernadette,

You can find all different styles of Aprons at Anthropologie. Google there website. They have the kind that go over your shoulder. This store is expensive but their aprons are very cute. Happy looking!

~belasuna

Posted: 07 May 2009 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

Thank you belasuna!

Posted: 09 May 2009 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2007-11-15

Speaking of aprons, how may of you guys actually use one?  I have never owned an apron.  Like Bernadette mentioned, I don’t like the pulling on my neck, but a waist only apron wouldn’t do me any good since most of the mess lands above my waist.  What to do, what to do…

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 12 May 2009 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

Patrincia, I happened to see the “perfect"apron on Throwdown with Bobby Flay one day. I usually don’t watch that but was flipping around and I can’t remember the episode, I think it was Southern or Cajun related but the guy he was challenging had what I thought was the berst apron—not a U shape or halter but more like a criss-cross, it’s hard to describe. I looked all over on their site and online and have not seen one since then. I always wear one when baking but even though I have some nice ones—my Mom got me one from Williams-Sonoma and my SIL got me a personalized one with a design for my birthday—I still wind up folding them over. The Quest continues….!

Posted: 12 May 2009 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Because I’m so short, aprons with ties or a strap around the neck generally end up too long. It’s actually pretty comfortable if the straps are a little loose, not tight! If you can find an apron with adjustable neck straps, it might help.

I have one that my sister stenciled for me with pictures of cats. It’s permanently stained from years of use, but I can’t bear to get rid of it!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 12 May 2009 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2007-11-18

BERNADETTE:
  Good afternoon to you. I have read your inquiry with a smile on the scar I have in~between my ears. Basically speaking in comm. bake shops it is proper to place a white apron around the mid~section approx just to above the knees with a tie around the mid section. The bakers use it to protect their trousers not to clean their hands with. What they do is place one towel approx size about 18 X 12 in one on the left side & one in the right side secured by tucking under the apron tie.  Sooo, why don’t you just tie a rope or twine of sort around your waist…then do the aforementioned & see how that will do you. I know that it will work for you. rolleyes
  Good luck to you & enjoy the rest the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 12 May 2009 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

Freshkid, I do that now, I have towels that I save just for my hands. Sadly I can be a bit messy grin  so I would like the top covered as well!

Posted: 12 May 2009 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2007-11-18

BERNADETTE:
Hello again. Thank you for the quick reply. The only thing I can offer you is this idea. My late wife Shiela enjoyed wearing what are known as jump suits. I believe you know what that is… It is all one piece it looks like overalls that Airplane mechnics wear. If you have any use for those…you say you do not have any.  If you cannot justify the expense to get one, find a “THRIFT store like the kind GOODWILL OR SALVATION ARMY operate. See if can locate one there,I think that is what you are wanting.
  Good day my friend.

~FRESHKID.