Cinnamon Roll Icing/glaze
Posted: 05 May 2009 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2007-11-22

does anyone know of a “BULK”, large quantity formula for this sort of icing, that can be left to room temperature for a few days?

any help greatly appreciated.

I should have made a note of this, when I was using it, daily. but that was many moons ago, on my favorite island.

Jenn

Signature 

If chocolate were a friend it’d be one needing compliance:
but bread on the other hand is a cahtartic, soulful blend of commraderie, chemistry , and respect.

Posted: 06 May 2009 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I don’t have it with me…(I’m at work) but I believe that I have a book with exactly what you are looking for (It is a cook book for professional bakers with all of the recipes in large/bulk quantities.  I will check when I get home and try to remember to post it when I get to the computer on friday (Lately my brain hasn’t been retaining info as well as it used to…ah the joys of middle age).

Posted: 06 May 2009 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-22

thank you soooo much. I’d appreciate that.. it’s probably exactly what I’m looking for.

J

Signature 

but bread on the other hand is a cahtartic, soulful blend of commraderie, chemistry , and respect.

Posted: 08 May 2009 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Here’s the recipe.  I’ve never used it…but I can’t see how it could present any problems…pretty basic.

Flat icing (for coffee cakes, sweet rolls, etc)

4 lbs (2000 g) confectioner’s sugar
12 ounces (375 ml) Hot water
4 ounces (125 g) Corn syrup
.5 ounces (15 g) vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients together until smooth.  To use, place the desired ammount in the top of a double boiler and over simmering water warm the icint to 100 degrees F (38 degrees C).  Apply warm.

There is a note at the beginning of this book that when measuring ingredients, you need to be consistant in either using all metric or all English system…since the conversions are not exact but the recipe will be correct if either system is used (did I say that clearly?)

Hope this helps.

Bill

Posted: 08 May 2009 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-22

bill, thank you soooo much.. it appears to be the right one that I’m looking for. as much as I like a milk and rum based one for home, this one will be perfect , for the masses.

thanks again

Signature 

Posted: 08 May 2009 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Any time

Posted: 27 May 2009 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

The recipe I have for flat icing is similar: 6 lb. icing sugar with 400 ml hot water and 6 oz clear corn syrup measured by weight.

Some additional tips: As soon as you’re finished using it, transfer to a new container before it sets up. Let cool completely. When a crust has formed, place about 1 cm of cold water over top. Store at room temp. To use again, pour off excess water and re-warm.

We were instructed to put an apricot glaze on cinnies while they’re still warm, and then drizzle the flat icing on when cool. I have a formula for the apricot glaze, too, it you’re interested.

Posted: 02 June 2009 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2009-06-02

Possibly heresy because it’s not Rose’s recipe - I’ve used this many times from copykat.com when I make Cinnabons Buns From Heaven.  The recipe includes a large batch of glaze.  (And the buns really are incredible - makes a huge batch for a home baking recipe.)

Posted: 02 June 2009 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

The Daring Bakers online group did cinnamon and sticky buns for their September ‘07 challenge, using Peter Reinhart’s formula. A few of the group carried on with other cinnamon bun adventures. One of these was to tackle a Cinnabon knockoff recipe very similar to the one you list. Haven’t made it yet, but it looks phenomenal. Especially the icing.

Here’s the url: http://tartelette.blogspot.com/2007/11/i-will-be-first-one-to-say-that-one-can.html

Posted: 02 June 2009 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks for the link Carol.  I use a similar cream cheese based icing recipe that I got from Cook’s Illustrated years ago.  I love that it doesn’t look so transparent - for some reason, the more opaque appearance just more luscious to me… taste great too.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog