1 of 3
Cookie Bake-Off!
Posted: 06 May 2009 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

I shall be away at the week-end when your Mother’s Day occurs, so I have jumped the gun and made my choice of cookies today.  The ones I chose are ‘Mother Bauer’s Buttered Rum Cookies’.  I chose these because I had a cookie cutter in the shape Rose used and I had never used mine so this was my opportunity.  The recipe says the yield will be about 32 cookies, sandwiched, I got out 28, which I thought was quite good.  I probably made mine a little thicker.  I only made about 2/3 the amount of filling and it was quite adequate.  They are nice, have a faint taste of the rum and almond, not too much, which might have made them sickly, but I don’t think they will be a favourite recipe of mine.  That accolade goes to the World Peace Cookies from Dorie Greenspan’s book, sorry Rose!  Hope you like the look of them anyway!

Image Attachments
phpJ3MWypPM.jpg

Posted: 06 May 2009 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve just noticed the picture looks a bit dark, my cookies were a nice creamy colour, not as dark as they look in the picture.

Posted: 06 May 2009 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

They look great, Jeannette!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 06 May 2009 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Your cookies look really good. Happy Mother’s Day!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 May 2009 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks for leading the pack!  Your cookies look great, and they sound delicious to me!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 07 May 2009 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Oh Jeannette, they look yummy!  Thanks for your opinion on the cookie.  I can’t wait to join you in the bake off!  Have a wonderful weekend away.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 May 2009 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Great minds must think alike Jeanette… I couldn’t decide which cookies to make so I made a list of possible candidates and these were on the list.  I’ll cross them off now… still don’t know which ones I’ll end up making.  I leaning heavily toward the pistachio roll-up ones (can’t remember the name off hand.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 May 2009 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Nice to see you back posting, Patrincia!  Those cookies improve in flavour as they age.  I thought I could take them or leave them when I made them but as they ‘matured’ the flavour seemed to improve and intensify and became more more-ish, IYKWIM!  Perhaps I will make them again after all, you can always improve on a recipe if you return to i t I find. wink

Posted: 09 May 2009 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I find that with cookies and sponge cakes, I almost always like them better on the second or third day after making them.  Sometimes the change is so great that I make a complete turnaround, from not liking them at all to not being able to keep away!

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2009 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I enjoyed this “filled cookie” bake-off a lot, I made the very delicious Brandy Snaps.  This was an unusual cookie to make and I’m glad I gave it a go, it was fun to do the shaping.  The cookie would be lovely all by itself, it is sort of like a cross between a gingerbread cookie and toffee.  The ginger-brandy combination was nice, I can see a lot of fillings being appropriate, maybe switching cinnamon for the ginger and trying mocha whipped cream, hmmm, I’ll be making these again.  The only thing is they aren’t a make-ahead dessert, I whipped the cream and then filled them one by one as people ate them, leaving the leftovers unfilled for storage. 

I had a few notes to add to what’s in the book:
-If your oven runs hot, these cookies won’t spread enough to wrap around the dowel- smaller, thicker cookies are a sign to turn down the heat. 
-I wrapped my dowel in wax paper, taped only at the center so the cookies can slide off the ends without snagging on tape. 
-I found it was best to let the cookies cool for 3 minutes on the dowel before sliding them off, they hold their shape better. 
-these are somewhat affected by humidity, getting softer and stickier if left out (though not as dramatically as meringue), They stayed crispy in tupperware-type containers. 
-these do require very firm pressure to seal at the seam. 

Happy Mother’s Day!

Editing to add a photo I had from back when we did the Charlottes, Rose’s Three-Nut fingers.  These were wonderful, once I got over the surprise of the dissolving texture.  Many people at the gathering complimented them.  I discovered a great way to shape them- roll into a log, chill and slice into rounds like for any slice and bake cookie.  Then cut each round in half (two semicircles) and place the long straight cut edge down on the pan for baking.

Image Attachments
brandy snaps.jpg3nutfingers.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2009 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Lovely!!!  Really pretty Julie!  Thanks for the tips… I didn’t get to the store for pistachios, so these were next on my list.  We have company coming for dinner, so I don’t know that I’ll get these done or not…. ugh.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 10 May 2009 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Looks yummy! Thanks for the tips Julie. Happy Mother’s Day!

I hurt my back grrr  so I’ll be making the cookies in the next few days.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 May 2009 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-17

Julie, your Brandy Snaps are picture perfect!  Thanks for all the helpful notes to add to our books.  I can’t wait to try them.

Happy Mother’s Day everyone!

Signature 

Come visit my blog

Posted: 10 May 2009 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Love the brandy snaps, Julie. 

I made Lora Brody’s Rugelach pp 126.  Oh my, they are delicious!  I kept to the recipe except I used unbleached flour and used pecan nuts in place of walnuts as I didn’t have any.  Some of them I made 8 per circle and some at 12 per circle and I just baked one tray at a time.  No big problems except that some of the filling fell out on the parchment in the oven but this caramelises and is quite delicious - they just look kinda messy.  Also, I only had Golden Flame raisins which are huge and one or two of the smaller pieces seem not to have got a raisin!  I will definitely make these again.

Annie

Image Attachments
RugelachRCC.jpg

Posted: 10 May 2009 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-17

Mostly because I was curious about marzipan, I made the Chocolate-Pistachio Marzipan Spirals (CPMS)  for our bake-off.  (although technically, these are not baked)

These would be a great dessert to make in the summer time because you do not have to turn your oven on.  But the best thing about the CPMS is you can make them several weeks or months in advance.  They store very well in the refrigerator or freezer.  That is why I only cut one piece off of the log for the pictures.  I plan on serving them on May 22nd at a get together at our house.  I love foods that you can make ahead of time.  It takes the stress off entertaining!  But I digress… back to the CPMS.

At first bite, the brute force of the chocolate is dominant overall but then as the marzipan melts on your tongue the chocolate mellows and there is a subtle pistachio finish.  Very interesting indeed.

These were very easy to make.  The most time consuming step was shelling the pistachios and the most difficult step for me was getting the skins off of the pistachios. But none of these task were daunting or impossible.

If you’ll notice, my marzipan is VERY green.  Trust Rose when she says to use just a dab of green paste.  I stuck my toothpick half-way into the paste and used whatever food coloring clung to it.  I almost added more coloring because the green doesn’t come through until you start kneading it.  Thank goodness I didn’t add more!

I’m really enjoying our “bake-offs” and can not wait for the next one. grin

Image Attachments
Choc-pist resized.jpgchoc-pist 2 resized.jpg
 Signature 

Come visit my blog

Posted: 10 May 2009 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-17

Annie those look delicious!  I want to reach in and grab one.  Bravo!

Signature 

Come visit my blog

1 of 3