2 of 3
Cookie Bake-Off!
Posted: 10 May 2009 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17
Rozanne - 10 May 2009 08:46 PM

Looks yummy! Thanks for the tips Julie. Happy Mother’s Day!

I hurt my back grrr  so I’ll be making the cookies in the next few days.

Ouch!  Back pain is horrible!  I wish you a speedy recovery.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 May 2009 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Thanks, Tammy, for the feedback.  My sister runs a B&B and her guests get most of the proceeds from the bake-offs.  I too cannot wait until the next one and it’s from the new book - yeah!

Your pistachio ‘ccokies’ look amazing.  I love the green/brown contrast and I really admire your finishing.  As I had not looked at the recipe, I did not realize they were not baked. They sound like a great do-ahead cookie and will stand out in my less than organized freezer.

Jeannette, your cookies are going from good to excellent. 

I have to say that I have made many of the recipes in RCC and don’t think I hit any that I did not think was outstanding.  I do wish the book had a different name as most of the cookies are suitable for year-round baking and I’m sure it affects book sales.

Rozanne, please recover soon!

Happy Mother’s Day to all mothers.

Annie

Posted: 10 May 2009 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Rozanne, I’m so sorry to hear about your back, hope it’s not serious?  Feel better soon.

Tammy, your pistachio rolls look lovely, and thanks so much for the flavor description, they sound good!

Annie, great job on the rugelach, I’d like one now, please!

Patrincia, hope you’re not working too hard on Mother’s Day to entertain your guests- this may be too late for this time but in a time crunch the brandy snaps would be magnificent left flat and unfilled, then served with ice cream.  (My mother has requested ice cream filling for tomorrow night.)

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 10 May 2009 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

Hi!  This is my first bake-off.  I saw in one of the postings that the bake-off was to make the Chocolate-Pistachio Marzipan Spirals.  So that’s what I made.  But I also wanted to send some cookies to my mother-in-law and sister-in-law.  I didn’t think the spirals will keep well without refrigeration so I can’t mail it.  So I made the Spritz Butter Cookies also. 

Happy Mother’s Day!

Jess

Image Attachments
IMG_0679_sm.jpgIMG_0675sm.jpg

Posted: 10 May 2009 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-17
jessjose - 11 May 2009 01:12 AM

Hi!  This is my first bake-off.  I saw in one of the postings that the bake-off was to make the Chocolate-Pistachio Marzipan Spirals.  So that’s what I made.  But I also wanted to send some cookies to my mother-in-law and sister-in-law.  I didn’t think the spirals will keep well without refrigeration so I can’t mail it.  So I made the Spritz Butter Cookies also. 

Happy Mother’s Day!

Jess

Wow!  A double-header! Awesome job Jessjose!

Signature 

Come visit my blog

Posted: 11 May 2009 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Jess, those look great, nice to have you join us!  What did you think of the taste?  Did you use a cookie press for the Spritz?

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2009 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

Thanks, Julie!  For the spirals, I liked them but I think whn I make them again next time I will change a couple of things.  First, I used semi-sweet chocolate.  It’s a little too sweet for me.  I think I’d prefer to use bittersweet chocolate next time.  And I also think I should just chop my pistachios by hand.  I used a small food processor and I ended up having some very fine nuts mixed in with chunkier ones.  I think a more coarse cut will be good to give texture and crunch and not just gooey.  It will also give a more nutty taste to it with the pistachio.  The nuts kind of gets lost in the ganache if they are too fine.

But I think it’s a good cookie.  No baking needed.  I also didn’t use food color.  The marzipan was greenish enough for me.  It’s a great as a make-ahead dessert and I think it looks very nice when cut.

I did use a cookie press for the Spritz.  I have a William-Sonoma cookie press and it worked well with the cookie.

Jess

Posted: 11 May 2009 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks for the info, Jess!  I especially like being able to see the natural color of the marzipan, so one can judge whether or not to add color.

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2009 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Tammy, Annie and Julie, thank you for your concern. My back is getting better. I bent down to throw some garbage in the bin (something I do a million times a day) and that’s how I hurt it. Go figure…........

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 11 May 2009 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Annie your rugelach looks amazing. Wish I had one now smile

Tammy and Jess, the pistachio spirals look perfect. They are so neat and perfectly rolled.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 11 May 2009 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

OK, Here are the lemon bars. Sorry everything is on a white plate.  It appears in the pictures that there is about equal lemon topping/cookie ratio.  I could have sworn it was less than that when I first cut them, LOL.  Anyway, they are scrumptious.

Image Attachments
Lemon2.jpgLemon1.jpg

Posted: 11 May 2009 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Hi, fellow cookie bakers!

All of the cookies look beautiful and delicious! Looks like everyone had fun!

Rozanne, I hope your back gets better soon - what a bum way to throw out your back!

I made the Buttered Rum cookies about a week ago. The cookies are so flaky and light - I want to try to make them again with poppy seeds in place of the almonds and lemon extract instead of the rum. I went out to buy a pastry cloth with a frame that holds it still on the counter and love it! I want to make more rolled cookies and pie crusts now with it. Cook’s Illustrated indicated they’re not worth the money, but I am glad to have one now. I’d love to know if any of you use one.

P5030067

I thought they were dainty enough for a tea party!

Hope you all have a good week! Looking forward to the cake bake-off in June!
Anne

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 11 May 2009 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Mrs. M, so glad you could join us, I was hoping someone would make the lemon bars, they are one of my favorites.  I also remember them as having less lemon curd than shortbread, but the flavors balance perfectly.

Anne, lovely job on the buttered rum cookies, I especially like the cross-section photo showing the flaky texture. 

Also looking forward to next bake-off!

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2009 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Thanks, Julie! I was surprised at how nice a treat the flakiness was!

Mrs. M, I can’t wait to have an excuse to make the lemon bars - they’re never tart enough for me, but it sounds like these might fit the bill!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 11 May 2009 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-17

I love the lemon bars Mrs. M!  Thanks for posting your pictures. They’re beautiful.

AnneH - beautiful cookies… Excellent photos too!  Love the cross-section.  (I’ve missed you posting on your blog.  Hope your job settles down soon)

I can’t wait to make both of these recipes.

Signature 

Come visit my blog

2 of 3