3 of 3
Cookie Bake-Off!
Posted: 11 May 2009 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

All the desserts look yummy!  This was a fun bake-off.  Hope to be able to join again next time.

(And MrsM, the lemon bars look inviting; did you like how did it turn out?  I’ve had little luck with other lemon bars before.  Maybe I’ll try this one from Rose’s book next time).

Jess

Posted: 12 May 2009 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Thank you Anne. Seeing all these yummy cookies makes me want to get in the kitchen right now and bake. I feel much better today. I have to do a cake for a baby shower on Friday and so I have conditioned my mind that I have to be better by then.  wink

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 12 May 2009 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Forgot to mention that your cookies look DELICIOUS Anne.

Signature 

Posted: 12 May 2009 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Everyone’s cookies look lovely!

I’m afraid mine didn’t work out. As I have way too many egg whites stored in my freezer, I decided to go with the Hazelnut Meringue Thumbprints on p. 63-64. The picture shows cute, rounded little “thumbprint” style cookies. Mine were flat. Very flat.

Rose’s recipe uses plain meringue with hazelnut meringue in the center. As I am not a big fan of plain meringue (too sweet, doesn’t taste like anything other than sugar), I took an idea from the Star-Spangled Meringues on page 147-148 and added some finely chopped chocolate to the plain meringue.

Everything was going fine until I came to the point of folding the powdered sugar into the stiffly beaten egg whites. They deflated and became sort of runny and sticky. I ended up with a sort of runny marshmallow fluff in my bowl. And I had to wing it with the amount of meringue to remove and use for the hazelnut mix. (I think it should be about one-third of the total.)

I went ahead with the recipe anyway, but the meringues were too soft and runny to “stand up.” They just spread out flat. Still tasted fine! Well, actually I thought that the chocolate flavor of the outside part overpowered the hazelnut flavor of the middles—I had added 1.25 ounces of chopped chocolate to the outside part. But as I liked the chocolate flavor the best, that wasn’t a disaster. I can see trying these again, but next time I’d add cocoa or melted chocolate to the outside. There wasn’t enough visual contrast between outside and center. And, I am definitely going to have to improve my meringue mixing and folding techniques.

These went off to the Madison Knitter’s Guild meeting and potluck, and very few returned home, so at least some folks liked them!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 12 May 2009 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Barbara, so glad you posted these, I was wondering if you would do a meringue!  I love your idea to add the chocolate.  Rose’s new book will have financiers, another great way to use up extra whites.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 12 May 2009 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Thanks for showing off your cookies, Barbara! I’ve got a yummy recipe for Coffee Pecan Meringues that use ground pecans in the meringue and coffee buttercream for a filling. They’re really good - seeing your photos reminds me I should make those again! I’m glad your knitting friends enjoyed them - I’m a knitter, too! wink The last thing I knitted was a Christmas stocking for my littlest munchkin - it’s been a while, but I love it!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 24 May 2009 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

i can see i’m never going to get anything done again because i will be glued to the bake-off forums! you all are such talented bakers it’s a joy to behold.

rozanne—the same thing happens to my back—out of the blue—one wrong bend i do all the time—zing—and pain for days. i do core strengthening exercises every morning and usually they keep this from happening. sitting too long is another culprit. it didn’t happen once during the recent trip, partially because i came to the conclusion that for long trips i have to fly business class so i won’t be crippled on arrival. this means frequent flyer miles, advance planning, and fewer trips!

by the way, i too am a knitter. i’m pretty well convinced that if everyone baked and/or knitted it would be a much happier world—don’t you agree?!

Posted: 24 May 2009 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Rose Levy Beranbaum - 24 May 2009 01:47 PM

rozanne—the same thing happens to my back—out of the blue—one wrong bend i do all the time—zing—and pain for days. i do core strengthening exercises every morning and usually they keep this from happening. sitting too long is another culprit. it didn’t happen once during the recent trip, partially because i came to the conclusion that for long trips i have to fly business class so i won’t be crippled on arrival. this means frequent flyer miles, advance planning, and fewer trips!

Thank you Rose. I’m going to try doing the core strengthening exercises. I’ll do just about anything to strengthen my back. I feel like a 110 yr old when this happens to me.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 24 May 2009 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04
Rozanne - 24 May 2009 08:05 PM
Rose Levy Beranbaum - 24 May 2009 01:47 PM

Thank you Rose. I’m going to try doing the core strengthening exercises. I’ll do just about anything to strengthen my back. I feel like a 110 yr old when this happens to me.  LOL

Do planks!! They are the best thing for your core!!

Posted: 25 May 2009 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Thank you Ski!  smile

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2009 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2582
Joined  2007-11-15

Totally off topic here, but since the topic of back pain was being discussed, I thought I’d share this with you back pain sufferers.  My Mother-in-law used to visit a chiropractor a couple of times a week (for years and years).  One day her insurance provided said, “sorry, no more”.  She was frantic over it and explained her fear of chronic back pain to her chiropractor if she wasn’t able to continue visiting him.  He told her to get some Tony Little back exercise work-out videos (you know who he is… loud and kind of annoying, but he was able to recover from a debilitating car accident, in which he broke his back, by doing these exercises).  Anyway, my MIL said they helped tremendously (although she had to watch them with the volume turned all the way down).

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

3 of 3