Favorite brand of bulk unsweetened chocolate??
Posted: 06 May 2009 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-04-27

It’s time to order again and I might make a change, so I was wondering if anyone has a specific brand/origin of unsweetened 100% cacao chocolate (available in bulk) that is their FAVORITE?

THANKS!!

Lauren

Posted: 06 May 2009 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

This is a very interesting question and beyond the scope of my knowledge.  I have been using only 60-65% chocolate of two types:  Callebaut (least expensive) and Valrhona (most expensive).  I have been using Callebaut for recipes where other ingredients and flavors are present and in competition (most cakes, buttercreams).  I use Valrhona for recipes where chocolate is the main and perhaps only ingredient (flourless cakes, ganache, rose leaves).

I use ‘recycled’ chocolate from bad batches of nut brittle bars for the cakes where people are not label demanding about chocolate and just want a ‘chocolate cake.’

Albert Uster is carrying a lower priced chocolate, of fairly good quality, many bakeries are switching to this.  The brand is Orchid.  Mostly made in Asia (ie Singapore) it is less expensive than the Belgian or French counterparts.

I also use chocolate essence from France, this really gives a lift on flavor, specially when lower grade chocolate or cacao is used.

I have never used 100% chocolate, once i tried a 85% valrhona and it tasted like medicine.  But I am assuming you are using it mixed with other things, added sugar, etc.  Chocolate makers must stock 100% for their confectionery making right?

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 07 May 2009 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-27

Hi Hector-
Yes this is going into a batter with sugar.  Are your 65-65% semisweet?

Posted: 07 May 2009 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

I think Cook’s Illustrated did a tasting of unsweetened chocolates a while back, and their preferred brand was Scharffenberger.  I don’t know if it is available in bulk, though.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 07 May 2009 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-27

Fantastic info.  I just checked Scharffenberger.com and not only do they sell it in bulk, but they offer wholesale accounts as well.

I’ll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks!!

Posted: 07 May 2009 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2009-03-13

Just to throw something out to you. I am a big fan of El Ray Chocolates from Venezuela. I got to know it in Pastry school where we used most of the major brands. My all time favorite is Valhrona and my Pastry Chef Instructor used to say that it tempers itself (not to be taken literally) - which I kind of agree. Anyway, El Ray is much more affordable and is available online in bulk and is definately worth a try. They have a White Chocolate that is the first white chocolate with cocoa solids making it actually chocolate. I tried it recently in a Ganache recipe and I was shocked at the chocolate flavor that it imparts while maintaining the light color of white chocolate.

Posted: 07 May 2009 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

ANDY/NYC:
  Good afternoon my friend. I enjoyed the choco information you posted for us members. Tell us Andy do you buy this White choco in the local super market or do you buy it via catalog sales…& if so ,will you post the toll free tel# for we who wish to try some in our baking.
  Good luck to you Andy & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID. grin

Posted: 07 May 2009 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2009-03-13

Hi Freshkid. El Ray White Chocolate is available at retail in Whole Food Stores nationwide. I bought some in New York but also in Pa when I was visiting my family. They have altered the white chocolate by allowing the Cocoa Bromides to remain during the deoderizing process. This leaves the white chocolate with more cocoa solides and the flavor of chocolate. When you taste it raw you don’t get as much of an all out chocolate flavor. However, when I recently made a white chocolate orange Ganache as a filling for Piatachio Macarons I used it. I found that I had run out of Valrohna white chocolate so I used the El Ray - not expecting to really notice any actual chocolate flavor . Instead there was a wonderful light chocolate taste - more like milk chocolate , but definately there, that really enhanced the orange. I asked my Sister “What does this taste like?” without any prior knowledge she immediately said “orange with chocolate”. It is a wondeful new tool/toy to use because it imparts such a wonderful flavor but maintains a light color. You can also order it directly from http://www.chocolates-elray.com where it is available retail as well as wholesale, or go to http://www.worldwidechocolate.com www.c,hocolatesource.com , or http://www.gourmail.com where El Ray is available along with many other chocolate brands.

Posted: 07 May 2009 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I realize these are all matters of preference. We like the Guittard bittersweet. I find it has a full bodied flavor without the bitterness of Scharffenberger or the chalkiness of the Valhrona or the blandness of the Callebaut.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 07 May 2009 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

ANDY/NYC:
  Hello again. Thank you for the quick reply. I have 2 whole foods markets with-in 11 miles from me. When I will go there to buy some White rye flour in bulk I will check out this choco on your recomadation.
  Good day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 19 June 2009 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

Wow! What a wealth of chocolate information. I have been searching and am glad I finally found it!  Also, I believe I recall Rose saying her favorite white chocolate was Tolbert Narcissus [sp], but not sure of the name and haven’t been able to find it again on the blog. Any thoughts? Thanks, joan

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 19 June 2009 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Joan, as per Rose Toblerone discontinued it. She now uses Valrhona or Green and Black’s white chocolate.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 June 2009 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21
Gene - 07 May 2009 06:19 PM

I realize these are all matters of preference. We like the Guittard bittersweet. I find it has a full bodied flavor without the bitterness of Scharffenberger or the chalkiness of the Valhrona or the blandness of the Callebaut.

Hi Gene: I found 4 types of Guittard bittersweet at WorldwideChocolate, and wonder what your preference is among them? They are all 65%. You seemed quite discerning in your selection of Guittard brand. I am so new that I haven’t the experience to recognize the qualities of a certain chocolate as you have done. Thanks for any advice. joan

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com