Help please on finding a Pain de Mie Pan, Lid Only
Posted: 07 May 2009 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-04-01

I was curious if anyone might be able to help me out here.  My wife was lucky enough to inherit a very old Pain de Mie Pan from her late great grandmother, who used it almost everyday to bake bread for her family.  It is in great condition, however there is one problem, it has no lid.  We have attempted to bake the recipe given in the bread bible numerous times without the lid, using various flat objects and weights to hold the bread down, but it always seems to surge forth, lifting with epic strength that would put most Olympic lifters to shame.  Anyway,  I was curious if anyone might have any leads on a Pain de Mie Pan lid.  I’ve done a bit of internet sleuthing myself, but haven’t found just the lid for sale.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted: 07 May 2009 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I have also inherited cook ware from ancestors and I treasure them for the living history they possess. Do an ebay search on the phrase ‘pullman pan’. There is a company selling lids only. Whether it fits your pan or not who knows. I would contact them if not it looks like it is quite a large company.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 08 May 2009 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-04-01

Thanks a lot!  I’m not crazy about the insane shipping and handling price tag, but its still cheaper and just plan nicer to buy just the lid for the inherited one.  We were worried it was going to get turned into a bookend.  Thanks once again for the point in the right direction.

Posted: 08 May 2009 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-24

Yeah I don’t buy as much on ebay as I used to mainly because of the s/h charges.
I have been meaning to try Pullman/Pain de Mie for some time so I went to my local restaurant supply store and bought a Pain for my own self grin . So here is my first Pullman loaf! I used an overnight rise and some more of that wonderful whole grain Emmer/Faro flour.

Image Attachments
DCP_0875.jpgDCP_0880.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 08 May 2009 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Great looking crumb, Gene, not so sure about the crust!  I bet it tasted great though.  I have made a few Pain de Mie in my day but have to say I like the crusty loaves - just personal preference.  Do you think you will use it much?

Annie

Posted: 08 May 2009 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-24

I had fun with this first try but…
I don’t think this whole grain overnight rise is the right formula for this baking style. I started the dough mid afternoon and didn’t get to the final rise until 9:00 am the next morning. So the yeast had run out of food and the gluten was like chewing gum. I have never been able to get any oven spring out of dough like that so it shrank from the top of the pan. It is so tasty though that I can’t stop eating it but I think next time I should use a younger more lively dough.

Signature 

Posted: 09 May 2009 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2578
Joined  2007-11-15
Gene - 08 May 2009 07:46 PM

Yeah I don’t buy as much on ebay as I used to mainly because of the s/h charges.
I have been meaning to try Pullman/Pain de Mie for some time so I went to my local restaurant supply store and bought a Pain for my own self grin . So here is my first Pullman loaf! I used an overnight rise and some more of that wonderful whole grain Emmer/Faro flour.

HI Gene… great photos… there you go stylizing your background again smile.  Your pullman loaf looks fabulous!  (and so true about the ebay S&H charges… some people are nuts)

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 09 May 2009 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-24

Hey P you are back! I heard they were worried about you. tongue rolleye

Signature