How to keep a raspberry swirl from sinking
Posted: 07 May 2009 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-08-16

I would like to make a raspberry swirl white chocolate bundt cake and would like to know how to keep the swirl from sinking.  Not sure what type of raspberry recipe to use…..  Help? Recommendations on the cake and swirl recipe are most welcome.  Thank you!  Pat

Posted: 08 May 2009 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

PAT:
  Good morning. I can only state my opinion that comes from my over active culinary imagination.
I would consider filling the bundt pan 75% full. Then with the back of a large TBLS run it in the middle top to remove some of the batter to leave a ditch about 1/2 to 5/8 inch deep. Now place the filling in very gently Then fill in the top with the rest of the batter. Now with a thin knife run it thru the batter gently with-out getting to close to the bottom. It would behoove you Pat to conjer up a rather thick rasberry concoction if you can. You can utilize some rasberry jam as well to help cool hmm . I hope my dumb ideas will get your imagination working.
  Good luck & whatever you decide I am certain you will succeed. Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 08 May 2009 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Pat, have you had a problem with it sinking already?  Part of it will depend on how thick the batter is, of course, and Rose’s butter cake batters are pretty stiff.  One technique I have seen is to blend a small part of the batter with the swirl ingredient, and then use that mixture to do the swirling—that way they will have similar densities.

Posted: 11 May 2009 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-08-16

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Yes, Matthew I have tried and had it sink.  Did the methods as suggested byFreshkid with a regular cake batter.  I think you may be right, however, in that maybe I should try one of the CB’s butter cakes.  I’m sure there must be a white chocolate butter cake recipe in there.  A friend of mine tried the Whisper cake but had it come out very dry and dense.  I may try it though…..  I didn’t really want to diffuse the raspberry by mixing it with the batter and then using that but I may need to do that as well.  Thank you!!! Pat

Posted: 12 May 2009 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Pat, there are 2 white chocolate butter cakes in TCB. One is the Whisper cake, which I LOVE! Mine always turns out soft but with some substance still. The other is the Golden Luxury Butter cake. I’ve never tried the Luxury cake so I don’t know what the texture is like, but I’m sure the taste is great. The difference between the two is Whisper uses all whites, and Luxury uses all yolks; so I guess it depends on whether you want a white or yellow cake. I would guess for a bundt-style cake the yellow cake would give you more ‘heft’ to support the raspberry swirl. Good luck!