cupcakes vs cakes
Posted: 08 May 2009 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-05-01

Can I make any cake recipe into cupcakes? Any adjustments to the ingredients? Baking time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated… cool smile

Posted: 08 May 2009 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18

BAKE~SALE~BETSY:
  Good morning & welcome to our baking forum. Yes, Betsy, Muffins are cakes…just the size & configuration varies. As far as the time in the oven goes muffins will take MUCH less time to bake most about 22 to 25 minutes at approx 335 to 350 degrees where most cakes bake.
  I hope this info helps you get started Betsy today. Then let us know how well you have done. rolleyes
Enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID. grin

Posted: 08 May 2009 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Betsey, as a general rule, layer cakes can be made into cupcakes.  Pound cakes and sponge cakes don’t always work so well, sometimes, but not always.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 08 May 2009 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

In my experience, most layer cake recipies seem to do fine as cupcakes.  I have had some problems (as have many others on the forum and blog) with the cup cakes shrinking out of the paper muffin liners.  I think (and I’m not 100% sure) that it is a problem that occurs when the batter is mixed in the two stage method rather than the creaming method.  I think (and again, not sure) that the cakes made with the two stage mixing method (High ratio method) as Rose uses in her recipies for butter cakes shrink more on cooling than cakes made with the creaming method (I’ve never done a scientific study on this) but It appears that the cakes shrink out of the papers.

Posted: 09 May 2009 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-05-01

Thank for that advise Julie and Bill. I just tried the all american choc cake out TCB and they did not not shrink at all. They were perfect. I followed the recipe to a tee (sometimes I wander!) and will try to stay on track from now on. The results are better! Will look up the creaming vs 2 stage too…might give me some insight. Cheers, BSB

Posted: 13 May 2009 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Betsy, if your cupcakes didn’t shrink…then don’t bother with the creaming method.  For some reason (and I have made a lot of cakes from Rose’s books…always with great success)  when I put her cakes into muffin tins…they shrink out of the papers.  I’ve used her recipes…but incorporate the ingredients using the creaming method and I decrease the baking powder/baking soda for cupcakes and I get less shrinkage.  If you don’t have a shrinkage problem, don’t bother.  (Creaming method:  beat the butter and sugar together until light, then beat in the eggs one at a time, then the extract.  In a separate bowl, sift together the rest of the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda), and then add the dry and wet alternately in 2 or three batches to the butter/sugar/egg mixture, beating well after each addition).