2 of 2
PATRINCIA,WHERE ARE YOU HIDING.
Posted: 16 May 2009 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

If you were closer I’d offer to be your loyal kitchen assistant (or at least to take your kids somewhere fun so you can bake in peace…).

Good luck with everything, we’re looking forward to hearing from you next week!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 18 May 2009 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Long story short… there just wasn’t enough time to bake for my sister’s last-minute wedding before I had to leave for the 3 hour drive (unless I decided to skip my brother’s graduation all together, but that was the reason for going in the first place, so I wasn’t about to miss that).  An unplanned and unannounced last-minute wedding definitely made matters complicated, but I think I was able to come up with a fairly decent substitute cake despite not having any idea what I was going to do just 2 hours before the wedding. 

It’s a bad photo because I had to zoom in from across the garage and edit out the mustard and ketchup bottles, as well as delete the wooden paneling from the background (did I mention this was a very informal wedding/picnic).  Anyway, I ended up getting two small cakes (4” and 7”) at a gourmet grocery store (yes, covered in real ganache).  Oh, got the cute 8” cake pedestal there too!  Then I begged the bakery staff to sell me a couple of clean cake rounds, before quickly running over to the craft store for silk mini roses, a wooden dowel, and a can of yucky pre-made frosting (glue).  I quickly zipped to my in-laws house, trimmed the clean cake boards to be slightly smaller than the cakes (so they wouldn’t be seen), then I used a hot knife to quickly release the cakes from their original cake boards.  I cut all the flower heads off the flower stems while my father-in-law cut and sharpened the dowel and my mother-in-law scrounged for 2 paper wrapped straws she had stashed away.  My husband stood by closely monitoring the time while all the little cousins watched.  A dab of frosting glue on the pedestal and between the layers, the dowel through the middle, and quick placement of all the little mini roses to hide the gap between the tiers.  Shew…. we were only 5 minutes late for the wedding - thankfully the ceremony hadn’t started yet.

My sister likes pretty, she likes tiny, and she likes feminine… so, what do you think?

Okay, I added the unedited garage version of the cake, as well as photos of the two original cakes from their grocery store’s website - you can see why I didn’t want to keep them on their original cake boards.  There was also a sheet cake that you can’t see, and my sister’s new sister-in-law brought a surprise 2-tiered chocolate cake.  You can kind of see it in the background (on the right).  It was her first time stacking a cake… it was filled with mousse and started to lean badly, but it was yummy and thankfully, between the 3 cakes, there was plenty for everyone.

Image Attachments
P1040214c (Medium).jpgP1040214a (Medium).jpgWeg1.jpgweg2.jpg
 Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 May 2009 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

looks great to me!!  I’d like to eat that!!

Posted: 18 May 2009 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

YOU ARE A WONDERWOMAN!!!!

Posted: 18 May 2009 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

That’s quite a story!!  I hope your sister appreciated your work, the cake turned out incredibly beautiful, and yes, it looks tiny and feminine, too!  What a great idea to buy the layers and stack them, they look so much better after you finished with them!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 18 May 2009 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
Julie - 19 May 2009 02:50 AM

That’s quite a story!!  I hope your sister appreciated your work, the cake turned out incredibly beautiful, and yes, it looks tiny and feminine, too!  What a great idea to buy the layers and stack them, they look so much better after you finished with them!

Thanks you guys.  I would have loved it if the store would have had a larger cake as well, say a 10”, but they only sell that particular cake in 4” and 7” tiers.  When I about the possibility of having one made, they said they could only do a sheet cake to match… oh well, I like the way it turned out in the end.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 19 May 2009 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  594
Joined  2007-11-18

PATRINCIA:
  Good morning my friend. I will answer by saying the 14th. I get confused trying to use the Pm. I tried but screwed up what I wrote in trying to send it. I am computer illiterate..I get lost along the way.
  I am enjoying your stories about the choco cake & the photos as well. Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~CASPAR.

Posted: 19 May 2009 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Caspar.  And a fine and lovely morning to you my baking buddy.  I got your PM, so you must not have messed it up after all smile.  I have a feeling you’re more computer literate than you realize you are wink.  Have a great week!!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 19 May 2009 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

That is quite a story Patricia. As Jeannette said you are Wonderwoman!!! I’m glad everything turned out well in the end.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 May 2009 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Ha… well, if I were able to bake the 3 tiers as I has hoped to, then maybe I would be Wonderwoman… this was last minute panic mode… cost a pretty penny too.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

2 of 2

‹‹ Aprons      Completely 100% NON FOOD RELATED ››