Strudel Napoleon?
Posted: 09 May 2009 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-05-09

Hi,

I’m working on my husband’s birthday “cake”—we have a tradition of each making something new for the other’s birthday, and since we’ve been married 17 years, we’ve started to move outside of the strict category of Cake.  This year, I want to do something with strudel dough, and I’m thinking about trying to make strudel Napoleons, using Rose’s fillo/eggless chocolate mousse recipe as the starting point.  Has anyone tried making a Napoleon or similar pastry from strudel dough?  Are there any concerns you would have, or advice to offer? 

Rose says in the PPB that the two doughs can be used interchangeably, but she only gives examples for using fillo in place of strudel, not the other way around.  I’d rather start with homemade dough, in honor of the occasion.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nancy

Posted: 01 August 2009 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-18

I watched Rose’s demonstration of strudel dough on PBS w/Amy Coleman, and even though she gave the measurements of water and oil, she neglected to mention the amount of flour! Can anyone help with this missing measurement?

Posted: 02 August 2009 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18

SEMAJRN:
  Good afternoon to you. In the event no one posts to you that they saw that very show you are asking about, perhaps I can help you. I did not see that show. However, in making STRUDEL dough It is EXTREMELY important that you employ the RIGHT FLOUR.
That is approx 11.75% protein strength & it must be UN~BLEACHED in this case. King Arthur flour has such a flour. Some supermarkets do carry this flour, not so cheap… but it is 100% quality. It is labeled All purpose, but in essence it is a bread flour but not as strong as most other bread flours. If you cannot get this flour you can use say Gold Medal or Pillsbury Un~bleached A/P but if you have some bread flour unbleached in your pantry I would consider using 2/3rds that & 1/3rd A/P aformentioned flour sifted twice.
  Now then, the water should be 55% of the flours weight & the oil should be 8.5% of the flours weight. I hope this helps you. If you need further aid with the culinary math I will be back here monday morning.
  Good luck to you & enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 02 August 2009 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-18

Freshkid,
  I really appreciate your reply. I use to love math in school, but, I just cannot remember how to do the math that your answer requires… ie:  1/3 ( 1/3C. water ) is 55% of what number, and 4t. (oil) is 12% of what number?  How do I figure these amounts out?
      semajrn

Posted: 02 August 2009 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

SEMAJRN:
  Hello again. , 5,oz of flour & 12, grams of oil, that is in between 3/8 ths & 1/2 oz. I changed to 8.5% oil as I had realized I had a mental lapse after I did the math. I had reversed the numbers. Also as far as the ratio of flour is concerned 1/2 of each will work somewhat better than what I posted although each will function. The idea is to get approx 11.5% to 12% strength. Good luck in your baking this project…let us know how well you have fared when you have completed it. Good day.

~FRESHKID. grin

Posted: 03 August 2009 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-18

Freshkid,
  I really appreciate your help, but can you not just give me the amounts of the flour, water, and oil in standard cups/tablespoon measurements? I know that the water is 1/3 cup, and the oil is 4 tsp. I just need the amount of flour. I guess I am not that good in math, and have never used any measurements other that the ones used in the USA.

Posted: 03 August 2009 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

SEMAJRN:
  Good morning. I didn’t realize that you wanted it that way. I will do the best that I can. The 5, oz that I stated is 1, full cup packed of A/P flour…that is the industry standard. If you are going to employ 1/2 each of A/P & bread flour then measure 1/2 cup packed A/P flour & 1/2 cup packed bread flour less 4 tsp. (remove 4,tsp because bread flour weighs more than A/P flour) You will now have 5, oz of flour.
  Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.