Strudel Napoleon?
Posted: 09 May 2009 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-05-09

Hi,

I’m working on my husband’s birthday “cake”—we have a tradition of each making something new for the other’s birthday, and since we’ve been married 17 years, we’ve started to move outside of the strict category of Cake.  This year, I want to do something with strudel dough, and I’m thinking about trying to make strudel Napoleons, using Rose’s fillo/eggless chocolate mousse recipe as the starting point.  Has anyone tried making a Napoleon or similar pastry from strudel dough?  Are there any concerns you would have, or advice to offer? 

Rose says in the PPB that the two doughs can be used interchangeably, but she only gives examples for using fillo in place of strudel, not the other way around.  I’d rather start with homemade dough, in honor of the occasion.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nancy

Posted: 01 August 2009 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-18

I watched Rose’s demonstration of strudel dough on PBS w/Amy Coleman, and even though she gave the measurements of water and oil, she neglected to mention the amount of flour! Can anyone help with this missing measurement?

Posted: 02 August 2009 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-18

Freshkid,
  I really appreciate your reply. I use to love math in school, but, I just cannot remember how to do the math that your answer requires… ie:  1/3 ( 1/3C. water ) is 55% of what number, and 4t. (oil) is 12% of what number?  How do I figure these amounts out?
      semajrn

Posted: 03 August 2009 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-18

Freshkid,
  I really appreciate your help, but can you not just give me the amounts of the flour, water, and oil in standard cups/tablespoon measurements? I know that the water is 1/3 cup, and the oil is 4 tsp. I just need the amount of flour. I guess I am not that good in math, and have never used any measurements other that the ones used in the USA.