1 of 2
Father’s Day Bake-Off
Posted: 09 May 2009 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Hi everyone, I had a thought about the Father’s Day Bake-Off and wanted to put it out there before I forgot. 

In addition to the chocolate-walnut cake and the lemon-blueberry cake from the new book, there is also the german chocolate filling from the new book that Rose has posted on the blog- that could be used with Cake Bible layers. 

Looking forward to baking with you all!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 09 May 2009 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Great idea Julie. There is also the Angel Food Cake recipe from the new book which Rose posted when she did the Lecture on flour at NYU.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 May 2009 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Here’s the recipe if anyone is interested.

http://www.hectorwong.com/roselevy/ECC/handouts/Angel Food Cake for NYU Demo.pdf

Signature 

Posted: 09 May 2009 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Looks like the link is not working for some reason.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2008/01/you_are_invited_1.html

Scroll down to Hector’s comment from Feb 6, 2008

Signature 

Posted: 09 May 2009 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Thanks for the information! I am thinking of doing the Angel Cake.

Also, I had a thought about a possible July challenge—“Pie for July”—what do you think?

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 09 May 2009 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

We could do a Canada Day (July1) / Independence Day (July 4) pie bake-off. Fun!!!!
Jeannette or Annie, any holidays in the UK that we can bake for in the coming months?

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2009 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

This is so awesome!  I am really enjoying baking with you all!  I have my Chocolate-Pistachio swirl in the refrigerator now.  I’ll slice it tomorrow and post pictures in the cookie bake-off post.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 May 2009 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Love the pie idea, I’m always up for pie!  I just saw fresh apricots in the store, I hope I have time to do something with them this week!

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2009 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

I just had a thought that maybe we should keep each bake-off open for a few days or up to a week.  I think it’s often difficult for us all to make and post our baking on the exact day specified (cf Rozanne’s back problem and Patricia’s work issues).  What do you all think?

Secondly, for me I want to make an item that I have never made before as I can see that a) it makes me more vulnerable (I will post WHATEVER it looks like!), b) I learn more and c) I want to push myself a bit.  In addition I get all the cameraderie and support of the group - win, win!  I’m not suggesting that we make a rule but I think we are all fairly experience bakers, so….

I notice Jeannette hasn’t responded to Rozanne’s suggestion that she and I come up with a British holiday.  Well, the truth is we don’t have national holidays (the only two days that the whole country shuts down is Christmas Day and New Year’s Day).  However, what we do have is a great tradition of baking so I’m very happy to go along with everyone else and make pie for Canada Day/4th of July.  Maybe in August we could make a yeasted bread????

I am so enjoying the bake-offs.
Annie

Posted: 11 May 2009 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

I’m hoping to make the chocolate walnut cake - mm-mmm!! My husband is a HUGE chocolate fan - it’s really one of the first things I fell in love with him for. smile So, he will be delighted with this bake-off! And, as I just wrote in my cookie bake-off post, I’ve been wanting to make a pie crust with my new pastry cloth, so I’m excited about that idea, too! Maybe a strawberry-rhubarb pie…

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 11 May 2009 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17
AnnieMacD - 11 May 2009 10:50 PM

I just had a thought that maybe we should keep each bake-off open for a few days or up to a week.  I think it’s often difficult for us all to make and post our baking on the exact day specified (cf Rozanne’s back problem and Patricia’s work issues).  What do you all think?

Secondly, for me I want to make an item that I have never made before as I can see that a) it makes me more vulnerable (I will post WHATEVER it looks like!), b) I learn more and c) I want to push myself a bit.  In addition I get all the cameraderie and support of the group - win, win!  I’m not suggesting that we make a rule but I think we are all fairly experience bakers, so….

I notice Jeannette hasn’t responded to Rozanne’s suggestion that she and I come up with a British holiday.  Well, the truth is we don’t have national holidays (the only two days that the whole country shuts down is Christmas Day and New Year’s Day).  However, what we do have is a great tradition of baking so I’m very happy to go along with everyone else and make pie for Canada Day/4th of July.  Maybe in August we could make a yeasted bread????

Annie

I like your suggestions. 
I believe all of us have been trying “new to us” recipes and have enjoyed the learning experience and camaraderie also.  This is the best site ever!

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 11 May 2009 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Annie MacD, I think your idea of keeping the posting open is a good one.  Already a few people have posted a little early or late, no worries, I think we’re just all so happy to see everything.  And I like the idea of baking new things, though if the best thing for a gathering is a repeat, I’ll probably do it.  But so far all my bake-off things have been new. 

Love your idea of yeasted bread, I admit I’ve been thinking of suggesting brioche as a bake-off category, there’s the whole chapter from the Bread Bible, as well as sticky buns, savarin, and brioche rum-praline cake. 

Anne H, I’m with you, my husband wants chocolate cake for Father’s Day, we’ll be working on the same cake!

Signature 

Posted: 12 May 2009 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

Hi, guys.  I’ve been following this thread because I would like to see what the next bakeoff would be.  Like Annie, I also would like to push myself and try things I have not done before.  My question though is that, will this be limited to items in Rose’s books (CB, PPB, RCC)?  I only have the Cake Bible, but I have several baking books that I am using as reference for school.  So I can find a similar recipe for pies or breads in one of my books.  I was wondering if it will qualify if I created a product similar to the theme of the bake-off but from a different source?

Julie mentioned Brioche.  That’s one of the things I am trying to get done right.  My first attempt a few weeks ago was not entirely successful and am planning to make that one again.  I used the formula and procedure from the Professional Pastry Chef by Bo Friberg.  The dough never got to the point where it was pulling away from the bowl - not sure if I didn’t mix it long enough (15 minutes or so) or if the batter was too warm.  But I found one from Nick Malgieri published in Cook’s Illustrated that I would like to try (or my other option is the Brioche from Tartine by Elisabeth Prueitt).

Anyway, not to digress, I was wondering if it is okay to participate in the bakeoff if the recipe comes from a different source.

Thanks!

Jess

Posted: 12 May 2009 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
AnnieMacD - 11 May 2009 10:50 PM

Annie

Agreed! Great ideas.
Thanks for the info on the British holidays. I just wanted to include everyone’s holidays so no one will feel left out.

Signature 

Posted: 12 May 2009 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Jess, I’ll venture my opinion on your question, which is that it would be best to use Rose’s recipes whenever possible, but if you end up needing occaisionally to venture into another author’s books, it’s probably OK. 

As for brioche, Rose’s version is wonderful and the instructions are detailed enough to ensure success.  It is in all her “Bibles”, Cake Bible included. 

I also have Bo’s book, and in general I find it useful as a reference, but for a showstopper recipe I prefer Rose’s, as she will go the extra mile for a wonderful result, which matches my philosophy.  For example, her cakes use more flavorings (cocoa powder, nuts, etc.) which are expensive and minimized in many professional kitchens but can be used in greater quantities by the home baker.

Signature 

Posted: 12 May 2009 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Also, Jess, there are a lot of Rose’s recipes on the blog - you can search for them.

Annie

1 of 2

‹‹ EASTER DECOR      Bake-Off Schedule ››