2 of 2
Father’s Day Bake-Off
Posted: 12 May 2009 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

Julie/Annie, thanks.  I have the Cake Bible and the Cookie books.  So I’m covered there.  It’s the Bread, Pies/Pastries, and the Heavenly Cakes that I don’t have (yet).

I did see the brioche recipe in the CB.  That’s another option for me to try.  Thank you!

Jess

Posted: 12 May 2009 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18

JESSJOSE:
Good morning to you. Jess, I am sorry you sustained a baking failure doing a BRIOCHE recipe. Jess my friend, I will ask you to do me a favor. When you re~do your recipe consider boiling the milk first to 190 degrees & holding it there for about 15, seconds. then cool & re~measure to recipe amount. I strongly believe you will be succeesful in your next attempt. I hope you will humor me & follow my suggestion to you. I will then explain the baking science to you then. rolleyes

Good luck to you Jess & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID. cool hmm

Posted: 12 May 2009 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

FK, interesting suggestion for the brioche.  Does that reduce the water in the milk?  Or is there some milk enzyme/component that gets broken down by the heat?  I have read about heating milk for other products before but not for the brioche.  I was able to do this successfully in class a couple of months ago without heating the milk; I think the difference was that we refrigerated the dough overnight.  But what bugs me is that the dough was supposed to go through pickup stage, then clean bowl stage.  Mine didn’t do that even after I mixed with a hook for a long time.  I finally stopped mixing because I was worried the butter would heat up too much. 

Anyway, I’ll keep your suggestion in mind when I resume my brioche experiment.  Probably not in the next few weeks because I have cakes that I have committed to make the next 3 weekends.  This is going to be a busy baking month of May.

Thanks again for the tip and I’ll keep you posted!

Jess

Posted: 12 May 2009 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

So far we’ve had a definite goal date, which I think is good, but a lot of flexibility in posting the results—also good. I vote we continue with that.

I’d like to keep this focused on Rose’s recipes since we’re on her blog! I propose we start with a Rose recipe. I’m very open to changing, fiddling around, “hybridizing” with other recipes, etc…

Love the idea of doing bread! August is kind of a hot month for bread-baking, though. Still, I do most of my baking in the evenings anyway.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 13 May 2009 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Jess, regarding milk in yeasted breads (including Brioche), it needs to be powdered dry milk or if from a carton, boiled as per FreshKid’s instructions.  There’s an explanation in the Bread Bible.  Rose’s basic brioche doesn’t use milk, though some of the variations in the Brioche chapter in the Bread Bible do.

By the way, my avatar is Rose’s brioche, baked as a classic Savarin with rum syrup and strawberries- one of my absolute favorite things to eat!

Barbara, I was thinking we should do a “favorite way to use up extra egg whites” Bake-Off, I’m often in the same boat as you with extra whites in the freezer!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 13 May 2009 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Julie - 13 May 2009 09:34 AM

I was thinking we should do a “favorite way to use up extra egg whites” Bake-Off, I’m often in the same boat as you with extra whites in the freezer!

Cool idea Julie! I guess we’ll have to wait till Fall though, soon heat and humidity will be upon us.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 13 May 2009 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

i have like a million egg whites in my freezer haha

Posted: 13 May 2009 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, Fall would be better for egg whites, and maybe by then Rose’s new book will be out and we can use her financier recipe (be still, my heart…). 

If people would like to do a yeasted bread, perhaps we should slide it in soon so as to avoid the hottest part of summer?  I could do a yeasted bread in a week or two- or do you all feel like that’s too many Bake-Offs?

Let’s see, new book previews for Father’s Day, Pie for the first week of July, perhaps August should be a cake featuring seasonal fruit?  Will you all be around in August?

Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2009 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

We could do the yeasted bread for the last weekend in May (30/31).

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2009 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

I’ll do yeasted bread any time!  I’ve never made Danish or yeasted coffe cake so would quite like to do one of Rose’s from BB.

Annie

Posted: 14 May 2009 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

I’d be up for trying a yeasted bread the last weekend of May. Are we going to mix and knead by hand or using mixers?!? I’ve pulled out my mom’s hand-me-down bread machine for cinnamon rolls recently and have had fun with it. But, I feel like I’m not getting the “true” bread-baking experience.

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 15 May 2009 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I can do a yeasted bread for the 30th, mixers or hands, the choice is yours!  Remember, some doughs are so wet that they are easier to knead by machine.  And the pizza dough is no-knead!

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2009 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Ooh I just read this thread! Would love to join for the yeasted bread at the end of May! It’ll give me the push I need to finally try the brioche recipe.

Posted: 17 May 2009 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Great to have you join us, Shimi!  Looking forward to your post.

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2009 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Another recipe to try for The Father’s Day bake-off from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes.

http://www.heavenlycakeplace.blogspot.com/

Signature 

2 of 2

‹‹ EASTER DECOR      Bake-Off Schedule ››