Rose recipie reference on Amateur Gourmet
Posted: 17 December 2007 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-11-16

There’s a reference to RLB’s snails recipie here:

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2007/12/in_which_i_make.html

Apparently they were a disaster. I wouldn’t have any personal experience with them, never having made them.

Maybe Rose can go over there and see if she was doing anything wrong smile

Posted: 18 December 2007 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-11-05

thanks newbie! i left a long-winded reply on the site which is being held for approval—i do hope she posts it as i didn’t think to copy it!

Posted: 18 December 2007 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-11-16

No problem. I should, however, probably put my name somewhere in here so that I don’t just show up as “rboehme”.

Thanks.

Richard

Posted: 18 December 2007 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

apologies—i’m new to the forums as well and didn’t realize “newbie” was a general term!

Posted: 18 December 2007 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

oh good—it’s posted. here’s what i wrote to elizabeth of amateurgourmet:
first thank you for all your kind words elizabeth.
second craig is right on both counts.
third cary’s suggestion of rincing and cooking the snails is exactly what i do on page 525 of “the pie and pastry bible” though the quality of the snails i was using and the over-powering (in a good way) garlic butter made me think it wasn’t necessary for the puffs.
fourth and final comment is that i was forced by my editor to put all acknowledgements in this book on page 678 where you will find the attribution for the recipe idea to my dear friend and esteemed colleague shirley o. corriher of “cookwise.

oh and one thing more, not everyone likes snails even escargot. the texture is a bit rubbery, the flavor a little funky, and the idea perhaps more disturbing still. but coincidentally, during my morning swim, i started remembering how much i love the snail buns in “the bread bible.” they’re a savory version of sticky buns, slathered with snail butter before rolling up the dough and pieces of snail poked into the dough. this by the way was inspired by andr? soltner formerly of lut?ce—it’s an alsacion specialty.

finally finally thank you for making me laugh out-loud at the description of how the snails looked!

Posted: 02 January 2008 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I don’t think there is a recipe for snail buns in the bread bible.  The only variation I see is for the maple buns.  Perhaps you meant to add it, but there wasn’t room!

Posted: 02 January 2008 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

it’s in the pastry bible!