Orange Chiffon - my other Mother’s Day dessert
Posted: 11 May 2009 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Here’s Rose’s Orange Chiffon, as written except I subbed a little toasted almond oil (La Tourangelle) for part of the oil.  The glaze is Creme Ivoire, made with all almond oil instead of safflower- declicious!  I was nervous during the cooling period, but this cake did not fall out of the pan like a previous attempt, yippee!  I think the video helped me get the egg whites and folding more like Rose’s techniques.  We served this along with the Brandy Snaps, pictured on the Cookie Bake-Off.

Image Attachments
Orange Chiffon2.jpg
 Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 11 May 2009 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

awesome looks sooo goood!! i love the design on top!

Posted: 11 May 2009 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Julie, love it, did u use a serrated or bread knife to slice it?  I find it easier. What clever use of almond oil.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 11 May 2009 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Yum! That looks wonderful Julie!  I like the changes you made too.  Rose’s video’s have been a great help to me also.  By watching her, I found I was over beating my egg whites and under folding the dry ingredients into the egg whites.  big surprise

Thanks for the tips on your post for the brandy snaps and the three nut fingers  I’m writing them in my book now.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 11 May 2009 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

I love the way you iced that cake. I wish I had thought to do that on the lemon chiffon cake I made on Friday. I ended up just sprinkling powdered sugar on it and decorating it with fresh lemon leaves.

Posted: 11 May 2009 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Your cakes looks delicious. Love the pattern on the top.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 11 May 2009 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Very pretty, Julie! I haven’t attempted a chiffon or angel food cake, but you make it look awfully yummy and tempting!!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 11 May 2009 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Ski, thanks for the kind words!  The design extended down the sides, I held the cake on an angle to do it.

Hector, yes, I did use a serrated knife.  I loved the almond oil, I basically never met a nut I didn’t like…

Tammy, those were the exact same changes (not to beat the whites so stiffly and to fold a little more) that I needed to make, too!  Thanks for the compliment, you’re very kind.

Rozanne and Christine, thanks for your approval of the glazing, it is patterned after Rose’s chocolate angel food cake.  For Lemon, I like a glaze of white chocolate melted with just enough lemon juice to prevent seizing, the lemon cuts the sweetness nicely. 

Anne, thanks so much, they are lovely, watch Rose’s video if you do try one, I found it very helpful.  I have also made the orange as cupcakes topped with orange slices arranged like flowers instead of frosting.

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2009 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

Julie,

Your glaze looks great!  I made this chiffon cake last week for brunch with friends.  Love the taste!  We just finished the last piece tonight.  It was also great just by itself plain.  But I did offer up the option to dip it in chocolate.  I had some leftover frozen ganache that I melted.  So some people couldn’t resist dipping in chocolate.  Orange and chocolate always go well together!

Jess

Posted: 12 May 2009 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I’ve never made this cake…I think I’m going to give it a try

Posted: 12 May 2009 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Jess, thanks!  Your chocolate pairing sounds tasty.

Bill, it’s a light, delicious cake- be sure not to overbake and I’m sure you’ll watch Rose’s video beforehand.

Signature 

Posted: 12 May 2009 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Julie, such a nice design on the cake! Didn’t think of using Creme Ivoire and forgot about chocolate glaze, so I just sifted powdered sugar over the top. I made the same cake 2 weekends ago for a potluck brunch and was delighted with the texture (as were my friends).  It’s so light and moist.

Posted: 13 May 2009 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, Shimi, I love the texture, too!  For me, the Creme Ivoire can be a little too sweet as an all-over frosting, but I love it in small quantities like this.

Signature 

Posted: 15 May 2009 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Perfect looking and it sounds so good….with a nice cup of tea!

Posted: 18 May 2009 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Beautiful presentation… really nicely done!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com