Completely 100% NON FOOD RELATED
Posted: 12 May 2009 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I figured no harm in posting this thread here…I am wondering if anyone lives in North Carolina (specifically Charlotte area)? Reason I am asking is because I have decided to relocate (I hate upstate NY weather), and I figured if anyone had any advice for me that would be great (especially when it comes to employment in that area).

Posted: 12 May 2009 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2007-11-18

SKI#9:
  Good morning. Ski#9 Go to Google & type in Charlotte N.C. weather and Job chances There you will receive many websites to give the info you need. rolleyes

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 12 May 2009 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

Hi Ski,

I used to live there a few years ago, for my first job out of college, and I loved it.  Lots of outdoorsy things to do, parks, hiking, biking, etc., and you’re a short drive from the mountains to the west, and the beach to the east.  We didn’t have kids then (I’m an old fart now at 30) and it was a great, fun town for that age.  Although our friends that still live there say it’s wonderful for families as well.  Industry-wise there is a lot of banking, but much like any city there is a wide variety of companies there (I was/am a chemist).  One thing I will warn you about if you are from the North like I am….prepare to wear make up to Target.  wink 

We have since moved to California and now Ohio.  Charlotte is definitely up there as a great place to live, so I don’t think you will be disappointed.  Best of luck to you.  If you need or want more specific info, feel free to pm me. 

Gia

Posted: 12 May 2009 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Ski, good luck with your move and job search.  Be sure to get a nice big baking kitchen in your new home.  Gia, the reference to wearing make-up to Target is lost on me - what will happen if you don’t?????

Annie

Posted: 12 May 2009 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2007-11-18

You do not get asked out on dates by Gentlemen

the
  ~MASKED MARVEL. tongue wink

Posted: 12 May 2009 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

Exactly Freshkid!!  I’m kidding, I was already bound for life to my hubby when I lived there.  It was just a general tease that the south is more proper than the north…you don’t go out running errands looking like you just rolled out of bed.  I could never live there now because with a 2 and 3 year old I’m lucky if I shower by noon.  HA.

Posted: 12 May 2009 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

LOL thanks for the info. I already have a boyfriend so im not looking for anyone new, and funny thing is, i work in banking right now! Sounds like a match made in heaven…if only the economy were better!

Posted: 14 May 2009 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Ski,

I was born in NC and have lived here my entire life - minus a few months in DC for a summer. I’ve done a lot of traveling around the country and in Western Europe, so I’m not completely sheltered! I LOVE North Carolina. It’s a wonderful place to be. My mom was a Navy brat and my dad grew up in MO, so I’m the first generation of my family to have lived my whole life here. I grew up in Raleigh, went to college in Winston-Salem (Go Deacs!!), worked in Charlotte for a little more than a year, and have lived in Greensboro for about 11 years. So, I can answer questions about any of the “big” NC cities!

The weather is wonderful, the people are great, etc. Greensboro is much different from Charlotte and Raleigh is different from Greensboro and Charlotte. Charlotte is the most “cosmopolitan” of the bigger cities here which would explain Gia’s thoughts on shopping with no makeup! wink

My husband was a banker and is now in commercial real estate - I’ve just started back as a CPA. What kind of banking do you do? There have definitely been a lot of layoffs with the BofA and Wachovia craziness going on, but I don’t know how that might affect the sorts of jobs you’d be looking for.

Let me know what further questions you have! I can’t say enough great things about my state!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 14 May 2009 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

THanks for the info Anne!!!  I am really open to going anywhere in NC. My boyfriend has family in Charlotte and also in Raleigh. My friends are moving to Raleigh and I just came back from visiting Charlotte. CHarlotte seemed much busier than here in rochester, but it still had the ‘country’ I am looking for. Do you think raleigh has less traffic, less commotion and more country??
The other thing, is I am trying to convince my mom to move as well (which i am sure she will) but I know she will need to be around a big lake or an ocean because her fiance loves to fish. Lake Norman is near Charlotte, but does Raleigh have any lakes? or Is it far from the ocean??

as far as banking, I work for a mortgage broker right now. I basically run the office, and process loans for residential mortgages. we go through a number of big lenders- and I noticed almost all of them when I went down there. I heard that Wells Fargo in Raleigh was actually hiring, but I think it was for temporary positions.  I am not opposed to getting into a new field, frankly, I will take anything that pay me enough to live in an apartment for awhile, and can get me out of this state!!!!!

Does your husband know of any places that are hiring??