2 of 6
Bake-Off Schedule
Posted: 18 May 2009 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

My 2 cents:  I think if you guys want to make the Ricotta Bread, you should!  I haven’t made it yet and I’d love to see a few pics and hear your descriptions!  I made the kugelhopf for a brunch this past weekend, it was very tasty but also very underproofed- pics to come with bake off posting.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 24 May 2009 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

i think this is a fantastic idea! it will be a wonderful way to compare results and learn. just this week i experienced the difference in using soft fluoridated water from ny versus harder non-fluoridated spring water from hope in a bread. The later resulted in more gluten development. this resulted from my baking bread with kate in devon about two weeks ago. of course the beer bread was the same as i used guinness in both locations so no water was involved. by the way, the beer bread made in the food processor is so very easy and so very good i encourage you all to try it. kate has made it about 6 times since i left!

i’ll do a posting on the blog about this forums bakeoff so more people will know.

Posted: 26 May 2009 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Hi Everyone!
I’m a newbie here. I joined the forum because the bakeoff sounds so fun, and I love that there’s no rules! Though it looks like all of you are very advanced baker (judging from the pictures). I want to join the pie bake off. Also, suggestion, can we do a pastry one some time in the fall? I don’t have a picture for my profile yet, I’ll have to post that later!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 26 May 2009 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Hi Jenn,

Welcome, welcome!  You may dip in and out of the bake-offs as you wish.  However, it may be kind of fun to do something that you have never done before.  People on the forum are very helpful and we will supoort you as much as we can.  This weekend we are doing any sweet bread from Rose’s books.  The pie recipes will more than likely include pastry and August is pretty open - just use any seasonal fruit. 

Annie

Posted: 27 May 2009 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Welcome Jenn. More the merrier…....so please do join us in the bake-off.  smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 May 2009 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Welcome Jenn!  If you’d like to use the Bake-Offs to try your hand at something new, we’d be happy to walk you through it/answer questions!  (that is, those of us who are skilled at that particular thing- I have some less-than-perfect results to show for the sweet yeasted bread Bake-Off coming up this weekend!).

Signature 

Posted: 27 May 2009 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Thank you all for the very warm welcome and the offer to help!
I suppose I should clarify that when I mentioned pie and pastry, it’s not because I don’t like to try something new. But it’s because those are my preferred dessert (to eat). I do try different recipes and different kinds of pie/pastry - also cookies. I just made some chocolate macaroons over the weekend and taught a friend how to make croissant (I use Rose’s croissant recipe from the Pastry Bible). I think this weekend I want to try to make the savory puff pastry from Rose’s book. I do want to learn how to make cakes though. Ahh, too many things to do, not enough time smile. I don’t have Rose’s cake books yet, does anyone have any recommendation on which one I should get first - The Cake Bible or Rose’s Heavenly Cakes?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 May 2009 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Jenn, Rose’s Heavenly Cakes will be out only this Fall. Get TCB. I guess I don’t have to tell you what a fantastic book it is.  wink

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 May 2009 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

OK, guys, two days to go and many of Rose’s breads require an overnight rise so don’t forget to plan ahead.  Good luck, happy baking and see you Sunday!

Annie

PS Don’t know why I’m sounding so cocky - I don’t know what I’m making yet!

Posted: 29 May 2009 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

My brioche dough is resting in the fridge after the first rise - so far so good with no major problems. Didn’t read the recipe through before starting it tonight, so now I have to stay up till 2am to wait for it to be ready for the second rise…

Posted: 29 May 2009 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Hey, Shimi, great excuse to get some quality baking time when everyone else is in bed!  I love baking at night.

Annie

Posted: 29 May 2009 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17
AnnieMacD - 29 May 2009 04:19 PM

PS Don’t know why I’m sounding so cocky - I don’t know what I’m making yet!

Oh Annie, You crack me up!  LOL 

I’m going to make the croissants. 
I baked a Greek celebration bread and proofed Bagels so far today.  (I was behind on my BBA challenge)

I’m going to take a quick break to read through the recipe then start the croissants.  I’ll be making them without the bran or germ since I don’t have them on hand.

See you Sunday.  Happy baking!

Tammy

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 May 2009 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

When Rose’s new book comes out, I think it would be fun to have a baking club like “Tuesday’s with Dorie” or “Daring Bakers”.  Is anyone game?  We can be “Rose’s Heavenly Bakers” grin

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 May 2009 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

My Brioche are ready, I will put them on tomorrow! smile

Posted: 29 May 2009 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Tammy, I love your name idea, “Rose’s Heavenly Bakers”!  Sign me up, please!

Signature 

2 of 6