1 of 2
White Genoise with Mango Buttercream
Posted: 16 May 2009 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

For my friend’s 40th birthday, one of the cakes I am making is a mango cake.  So I tried making the cake for practice this weekend so I can serve it for brunch tomorrow.  I baked the White Genoise and filled/frosted with Mango Buttercream.  I soaked the Genoise with Triple Sec and I made the buttercream using Neoclassic buttercream flavored with mango puree and triple sec.

The cake came out denser than I wanted it to be.  And it also didn’t come out as tall.  The problem was that I ran out of cornstarch and decided to replace with more cake flour instead (I should have just ran out to the store to get cornstarch).  However, I tasted the top crust which I cut off and it tasted good.  I just hope the cake gets a little less tough by tomorrow since it’s been soaking in liqueur for almost two days.  I’ll definitely use the right ingredients next time and see how it turns out.

The mango buttercream turned out great last night.  Taste and texture was good.  However, I had a moment of panic today.  I only crumb-coated last night and decided to refrigerate the buttercream.  When I took it out, I let it rest for about an hour then started re-beating it to start frosting the cake, it curdled!  I kept beating fast with the flat beater and I was in panic because I didn’t really want to have to make another batch (I have to puree mango, make buttercream, etc; I didn’t have much time left).  But good news, I found out that if you continued beating, the buttercream re-emulsifies.  It came out smooth and creamy like the first time.  So I was able to finish the cake.

See some pictures below.  I can’t decide if I should add fresh mangoes on top or not.  I kind of like it the way it is but I think having fresh mangoes on top will be good for a different texture.  We’ll see if I have time tomorrow.

I’ll let you know how the cake is after I get a chance to taste a slice tomorrow.

Jess

Image Attachments
IMG_0682_sm.jpgIMG_0689_sm.jpg

Posted: 16 May 2009 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Jess, what a lovely cake!  And a great photograph, too.

I’m so glad the mango BC re-emulsified for you.  I think one hour might not be enough time to fully bring the BC up to room temp, and beating cold buttercream makes it curdle.  Although some BC curdles, then re-emulsifies even at room temp. 

I have also had a few problems with the White Genoise (egg whites either too stiff or not enough seemed to be my trouble for a while), so you’re not alone. 

It should tenderize nicely after two days in syrup, let us know how it ends up!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 16 May 2009 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Jess, yummy looking cake!

I’ve been planning to make mango buttercream because they’re in season here and there are so many varieties. Do you just puree the flesh and add it to the buttercream? The colour looks really nice and golden yellow, very mango-y smile

Posted: 16 May 2009 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Jess, the cake looks really good. I love the colour of your buttercream. I think you should add the fresh mangoes on top.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 17 May 2009 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Jess, getting good!  I use mango puree (plain fruit flesh) for cloud creams and mango curd (like a lemon curd)for buttercreams.

Buttercream needs to be allowed to become room temperature before rebeating.  5 microwave seconds intervals are VERY handy.

Be sure to read my white genoise tips, if it doesn’t rise in the oven then it won’t have genoise texture.

Arrange a mango rose on top like on the mango passion tart in the pie and pastry bible.  It is the ultimate display of fresh mango slices, doesn’t take much with a bit of practice.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 17 May 2009 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Hector, thanks for the mango tips. Do you use mango juice or the puree for the curd?

Posted: 17 May 2009 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Hector, I’d like to know more about the mango curd too. Do you have a recipe that you can share?

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 17 May 2009 01:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Mango butter or spread is sold everywhere here, but nothing compares to freshly made because you don’t heat treat as if you would need on glass jars to make it shelf stable for selling.  I can’t recall my recipe, it is just the curd recipe on cake bible or pie and pastry bible, like the lemon curd recipe or such one with the least amount of sugar since mango is sweater than lemon.

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2009 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

First of all, I’d like to greet Hector a Happy Birthday (I’m a few months older; just hit the milestone in January myself)!  I hope you had a good one.

Thanks a lot for the comments guys.  For the mango buttercream, I was looking at the Cake Bible and I found that neo-classic can be used for fruit buttercream.  I had the leftover yolks from the eggs (since white genoise is all white) so I decided to do neo-classic instead of mousseline so I don’t waste the yolks.  Then I did a search on mango buttercream and found out that Bobby Flay has a mango buttercream recipe on the Food Network.  I reviewed his ingredients and procedure, and what I found out was that his base is really Rose’s Neo-Classic buttercream (same exact).  So he really just modified one of Rose’s fruit variations.

It’s really easy.  For 3 ripe mangoes, cut the flesh coarsely.  Heat up about 2 tablespoons of butter.  Add the mango and 2 tablespoons of honey.  Let it boil for a bit to reduce (I had it full rolling boil for about 3 minutes or so).  Use an immersion blender to puree the mango and strain it through a sieve.  I put it on an ice water bath to cool it down quicker.  I was very smooth and not too sweet.  The honey just enhances the flavor of the mangoes but you don’t notice it.  I also used very ripe mangoes.

Then make your NCBC.  Once it’s done, add the mango puree and liqueur (if you wish).  Then beat it until you get the consistency that you want for your buttercream.  The flavor is really good.  It’s not heavy at all and you can taste the mangoes.  It’s like eating mango ice cream.  The only thing I noticed is that the BC seems to be a bit softer.  Maybe chill a little bit to get some stiffness?  I didn’t chill it.  I was able to use it for frosting and piping so I was happy with it.  But maybe play around with the quantity of the puree and the taste to your liking.

I’ll let you guys know how the genoise turns out when I try it tomorrow.  I definitely would check out Hector’s tips because I want to bake this again and get a lighter texture.

Jess

Posted: 17 May 2009 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Yolk curd for white mousseline or no yolk ‘curd’ for yolk neoclassic.

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2009 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

And happy belated 40 to u Jess!

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2009 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

that looks great!!

Posted: 17 May 2009 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

So I followed the suggestion to put mangoes on top.  I think that worked out much better and the cake looked more finished.  It was also good to have that nice bite of mango while eating the cake.

As for the texture of the White Genoise, as I mentioned, I wasn’t too happy about how it turned out.  I think it was mainly my substitution of corn starch with cake flour that was the problem.  I started it with warm egg whites and I had great volume, plus I used whisk to fold.  There was just too much flour (the substitution I found said double the amount of cornstarch if using cake flour).  So lesson learned, stick with the right ingredients.  The cake was much denser than I wanted it to be and even soaked in syrup for two days, it was still dense.  Although some people liked it that way, it was not what I wanted.  It tasted great but not the texture I wanted.  So I’ll definitely try this one again to get it right.

The buttercream on the other hand was awesome!  It was like eating a cloud with a taste of mangoes!  I can eat a full bowl of it if no one stops me.

Below is a picture of the finished cake (some of the rosettes and shells got messed up when I lifted the dome from the cake stand).  No time to stage this shot because I only had a few minutes before guests were arriving.

Jess

Image Attachments
img_0690_sm.jpg

Posted: 17 May 2009 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Lovely final cake, Jess, and I enjoyed following your progress on this project!  Do post back if you solve your White Genoise issues, love to hear how you did it.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 18 May 2009 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Jess!!!!!!! I truly love the cake.  It is appealing, looks delicious, and the decor depicts what is inside the cake.  The oversized rossettes have a lot of grosso modo appeal and matches the thick slices of mango.  Pls read intro section on genoise classique, you can use all starch or any starch, but just same weight or sifted volume.  The recommendation of increasing the amount of total flours is only for american butter cakes and never for sponge cakes because on the later the structure comes mostly from the beaten eggs and not from the flour.

Signature 

Posted: 18 May 2009 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-24

Thanks so much, Julie and Hector!  I do love the look of the cake and my guests did too.  Since this was a practice cake, I think I will finish the cake in a similar manner when I make this for my friend Jeny’s birthday.

Hector, thanks for your tip.  The way I understand what you’re saying, the substitution should work as long as the weight is the same.  That makes sense to me because cornstarch is lighter than cake flour.  So the problem is that I added way too much flour because I didn’t way it.

But I think I will stick to Rose’s formula when I make this again.  I bought a big container of cornstarch to make sure I don’t run out again.

Thanks!

Jess

1 of 2