My Sour Cream Butter Cake fell in the middle
Posted: 17 May 2009 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-05-01

Using the Sour Cream Butter Cake recipe:  Instead of using 4 large egg yolks (which equals 2 full fluid oz), I substituted 1 whole egg because it measured the same 2 full fluid oz.  The batter seemed perfect when I poured it into the springform pan.  I began testing early, around 30 minutes but the pan seemed too jiggly.  So, I checked every 5 minutes.  Probably very close to the 45 minute baking time, I checked with a toothpick and it came out clean—so I removed the cake to cool.  It did not rise to the 1 3/4 inch height; and in fact, it fell quite a lot in the middle.  But, it was a very delicious cake.  I would like to solve this problem for the future.  Does the problem of a shorter cake and fallen cake center lie in the fact that I made the egg substitution (even though the liquid measurement was the same)?  Or, did I need to bake the cake longer?

Posted: 17 May 2009 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-11-25

The molecular structure of an egg yolk is different from the molecular structure of an egg white, thus the structure of the cake was affected.  There are cakes that call for egg white only, but if one of Rose’s recipes calls for all yolks, there’s a reason for it. 

I recommend Rose’s Heavenly Cake Strips.  Since I started using them, I haven’t had a single cake that’s domed or cracked.

Posted: 03 June 2009 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-11-16

I usually make the sour cream butter cake using 2 whole eggs as opposed to yolks.. Sometimes (not always) it falls and/or shrinks.. I rarely make 1x the recipe.. I have made up to 4x the recipe.. I never have a problem (even with 4x) when I bake the cake in a sheet pan (as in 12x16 pan 1inch tall) only when I make it in rounds or squares.. i was also looking at TCB about the rose factor for butter cakes, but like in a different thread, it mentioned that this particular cake has powder and soda and milk instead of sour cream..

I can’t really tell if it is the mixing or the leavening that is giving me the problem.

Posted: 16 October 2009 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-10-16

Very nice thread. I like the discussion here. It gives me ideas and I’ll learn a lot of things from here. Keep it up guys. I’ll be booking this thread up to be updated.I love baking…..

Good day..

zackdwat
Simulation pr?t