1 of 2
First wedding cake!
Posted: 18 May 2009 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2009-01-20

Whew!  So glad that’s over! LOL!

The cake looked very nice, and of course the taste was beautiful.  Everyone told me that they’d heard my cakes were delicious, and they took lots of cake pics.  All in all a smashing success. 

Thank you all for your help and advice, it was immeasurable.

Transporting the cakes in 105 degree heat was horrible.  I had to finish decorating and assembling the tiers in the walk in fridge at the facility.  My bag of frosting had separated and liquid butter was oozing out, lol!

The best part was when the bride exclaimed, “That’s good cake!” smile

First wedding under my belt, many more to come I hope!

Thanks again,

Veronica

Image Attachments
wedding cake 035.jpg

Posted: 18 May 2009 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07

Hi Veronica,
Congratulations! I have been following your progress on this cake from afar (ie., reading the posts). This is truly a lovely cake. You should be very pleased.I am sure you will have no problem getting future wedding cake requests with such lovely work as this.  One day I would love to be good enough to make something like that. Can you share how did you make the beautiful design on the sides of the second tier? Thanks in advance.
~belasuna

Posted: 18 May 2009 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Congratulations… very impressive first wedding cake.  I’m sure there will indeed be many more in your future!  Really nice job!!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 May 2009 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-20

Thanks ladies!

belasuna, I used a stencil, here’s the link http://www.designerstencils.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?screen=CTGY&category_code=CAKES

I was pleased to find that the black didn’t bleed into the cream frosting.  Make sure that your frosting is not too thin, it’s best to apply it heavily and quickly. Otherwise the stencil might slip.  I took progression pics as I assembled the layers.  When I get time I’ll post them in my other thread.

V

Posted: 18 May 2009 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, congratulations on your first wedding cake, it’s beautiful!  Please remind us, what were the components, and did the fillings work out well?

Lovely work, Veronica!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 18 May 2009 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07
mocharoni - 18 May 2009 06:16 PM

Thanks ladies!

belasuna, I used a stencil, here’s the link http://www.designerstencils.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?screen=CTGY&category_code=CAKES

I was pleased to find that the black didn’t bleed into the cream frosting.  Make sure that your frosting is not too thin, it’s best to apply it heavily and quickly. Otherwise the stencil might slip.  I took progression pics as I assembled the layers.  When I get time I’ll post them in my other thread.

V

Thanks! I can’t wait for you to post those progression pics. You have just sparked my imagination.
~belasuna

Posted: 18 May 2009 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-20

smile Thanks Julie!

I did a white butter cake, 2 layers per tier.  It was filled with a layer of strawberry conserve stabilized with agar.  It did thicken up, but I wouldn’t call it jelled.  Then I added a layer of stabilized super stabilized strawberry cloud made with the same conserve.  The buttercream was Amaretto mousseline. 

Mmmm, tasty!

V

Image Attachments
wedding cake 021.jpgwedding cake 022.jpg

Posted: 18 May 2009 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Looks like my mess when I’m in the middle of a cake project - cookbook, bench scraper, turntable, CALCULATOR. smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 18 May 2009 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Just lovely, Veronica, well done! How did you get those corners sooo clean and crisp!

Posted: 19 May 2009 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Beautiful!  I was wondering how you did the corners also.  They’re so perfect.  Absolutely gorgeous!

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 May 2009 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

that is beautiful!!

Posted: 19 May 2009 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Beautiful cake Veronica! Sounds yummy too. And such clean straight corners!!

Posted: 19 May 2009 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-20

Wow, thanks for the compliments everyone!

I used a bench scraper to smooth the frosting and get the corners straight.  I found that if I pulled the scraper toward me, the corner furthest away from me would be straight.  Then I used the other side of the scraper (clean side) and started with the corner closest to me, moving the scraper away from me.  Did that make sense??  One side at a time, back and forth with the scraper.

Honestly, I’m pretty type A, so I worked that frosting to within an inch of it’s life.  I kept thinking about a post I read, something about the end result being what it’s going to be, and having to stop at some point.  LOL

Veronica

Posted: 19 May 2009 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Veronica - boy do I know what you mean!!!  Sounds like you figured out how to do the corners through trial and error.  I do the same, start and the corner and pull the bench scraper towards the cake, not away.  Also, you can help yourself out if you have a second bench scraper on hand - use it as a guide at the edge.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 19 May 2009 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Veronica,

That’s beautiful! I have wondered how to properly square the icing on a square cake - thanks for sharing your tips. I’ll look forward to giving the bench scraper a try the next time around.

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 19 May 2009 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Beautiful cake Veronica! Your corners are PERFECT. I can never get the corners to be so neat so I end up piping something on the edges.  LOL

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

1 of 2