Cupcake question about weight vs. volume
Posted: 13 April 2016 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-04-13

Greetings,

I’m excited about making this sweet potato cupcake recipe. However, I’d like to substitute my own baked sweet potatoes I do at home for the 16 ounce can it calls for in the recipe.

My question is, when I finish baking them, am I weighing out 16 ounces on a scale, OR am I measuring out 16 ounces in a measure cup which is what…two cups?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ingredients
One 16-ounce can sweet potatoes
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup unsalted butter, melted, but cooled
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs, lightly beaten

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350* degrees. Line a cupcake pan with 18 paper liners, set aside.

Make the sweet potato puree by processing the sweet potatoes in a food processor. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and nutmeg.

In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and eggs. Add the dry ingredients. Whisk in the sweet potato puree. Fill each cupcake in the prepared pan three-quarters full of batter.

Bake until the tops spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 23 minutes. Let cool.

Posted: 14 April 2016 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2008-01-24

The main challenge will be to get the water content of your sweet potato close to the canned. You could make a batch with the canned and try to match the consistency. Instead of baking the sweet potato which will dry it out you could peel and cube it and cook it in a covered sauce pan. Low heat for about 30 minutes. That should be very close to canned.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 19 April 2016 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-04-13

Thank you very much for the thoughtful reply. I will definitely try your suggestion and boil them so as to not dry them out.

However, my initial question still stands. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, am I measuring them by weight as in 16 ounces on a kitchen scale, or by volume as in 16 ounces or 2 measuring cups?

Posted: 19 April 2016 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2008-01-24

The can is filled by weight so I would weigh them. But I would bet the difference is small.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 20 April 2016 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-04-13

Thank you, that’s great!