1 of 2
buying baking books
Posted: 19 December 2007 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-11-18

hey, i was wondering if the pie and pastry bible is an excellent book for a culinary student like me… i bought the cake bible and it taught me a lot… it supplements what i have learned in school… but the pie and pastry bible does not get any good reviews in barnes and noble’s website… is it worth it???  any good baking book you could recommend???

Posted: 19 December 2007 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2595
Joined  2007-11-15

I’d put it this way… Rose’s bibles are the “gold standard” that all other cookbook authors attempt to achieve.  If you have any interest in baking the best pies and pastries, you should most definitley add the Pie and Pasty Bible to your collection. 

(personally, I bet people are so busy licking their fingers clean that they don’t have time to post a review - either that or they don’t want anyone to learn the secret of their amazing baking skills)

PS - there are plenty of reviews posted on this forum (and the blog) from very happy bakers.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 19 December 2007 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

The recipies in the Pie and Pastry bible are amazing…every one of them that I have tried. You should definitely buy it.  Pie and Pastry are more complicated than cakes and the book is therefore ... well…a little more complicated.  BUT WONDERFUL!  If there aren’t a lot of good reviews on BN’s website…if may just be that the average baker is a little intimiadated.  If anyone…and I mean anyone…would just take the time to read the book carefully, they would see how clearly everything is explained…and if they bake from the book they would taste how delicious every recipe is.  I have some professional texts on Pastry…and I use them for information and techniques…but when it comes to actual recipes…Rose’s always…and I mean always win out!

Posted: 19 December 2007 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Yes, I highly recommend it as well.  Everything I have tried has been outstanding.  Personally, I find it to be Rose’s most impressive book, just from the sheer scope.

Online reviews are helpful only to a degree.  I’ve read some on Amazon for Rose’s books, and I just had to stop because I was getting upset.  I wondered if they were actually looking at the same book because I’ve had nothing but success.

I think the negative reviews fall into at least four categories: people who couldn’t follow a recipe to save their lives; people who take recipes as a starting point, make all kinds of changes and substitutions, and then blame the author; people who are just negative about everything; and people who say things like “I’ve been baking for 20 years and this isn’t how I do it.”  Just because you’ve been doing something for a long time doesn’t mean that it can’t be improved or that you’re doing it well!

Posted: 19 December 2007 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Matthew:
I agree.  I don’t understand people who rate recipes on websites and say:“I didn’t like this recipe! I substituted snails for the cheese, and I decided to boil it instead of bake it.  It didn’t turn out right and I would never make it again!”  Follow the recipe…then make your decision.

Posted: 19 December 2007 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-12-07
Bill - 19 December 2007 05:07 PM

I don’t understand people who rate recipes on websites and say:“I didn’t like this recipe! I substituted snails for the cheese, and I decided to boil it instead of bake it.  It didn’t turn out right and I would never make it again!”

Then there’s the opposite: people who rave about a recipe after they’ve made so many changes that it’s not even the same recipe.

“OMG, these are the best snails I’ve ever tasted! I substituted cream cheese for the snails, and I decided to bake them instead of sauteing them.  I left out the garlic and olive oil, and added some eggs, sugar, and vanilla.  It almost reminded me of cheesecake! Five stars!”

Posted: 19 December 2007 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-12-12

Hey,
  I actually just bought the Pie and Pastry Bible, and I have not had a chance to try any of the recipes yet.  I did see that it has a very interesting chart on the amount of corn starch that should be used depending on what type of fruit you are baking with.  At the same time I bought the Pie and Pastry Bible, I also bought Shirley Corriher’s CookWise.  I say keep the Pie and Pastry Bible, but take a look at Shirley Corriher’s too.  While it is not strictly on baking, she does explain a lot of the science behind things.  It has recipes and articles on lemon pie, apple pie, basic yellow cake, fudge, caramel, and a few other deserts.  Since you are in pastry school, it might be good to have both!  She even mentions Rose in her book smile  Well, good luck!

Posted: 19 December 2007 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2595
Joined  2007-11-15
Bill - 19 December 2007 05:07 PM

Matthew:
I agree.  I don’t understand people who rate recipes on websites and say:“I didn’t like this recipe! I substituted snails for the cheese, and I decided to boil it instead of bake it.  It didn’t turn out right and I would never make it again!”  Follow the recipe…then make your decision.

Oh, that is soooo true!        (snails for cheese…. haha)

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 19 December 2007 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

well thank you all for defending me so eloquently. when i think back to the time during production of the p & p bible and how i was standing at the airport after a long flight, while my husband waited for the skis and bags to arrive on the belt, going through the mathematics of the charts on how much sugar and thickener for each type of fruit by volume and weight, it is gratifying indeed to know it is appreciated by some.

in this day and age where the catch phrases are “dumb and dumber,” “quick and easy”, “no knead bread” and “too much information”: i can’t expect everyone to love my work—but i still do! and what i love most about the way in which i present it is the near guarantee that ANYONE who follows my recipes will enjoy the same results and then perhaps be empowered to make their own variations since the information is there to do it!

every year or so i check the reviews on amazon and am always stunned by the variety—some glorious, some awesomely critical—they really give perspective. but as aesop said: try to please everyone and no one will be pleased—please yourself and you can be sure that one person is pleased!

i can share all this because i feel quite sure that anyone who reads it, i.e. anyone who has taken the trouble and interest to go onto this forum cares about baking the best they can.

warm wishes and happy holidays!

rose

p.s. be sure to go onto the errata page on the blog for any corrections for example in the lemon meringue pie don’t use a double boiler as it is necessary for the mixture to come to a boil in order for the cornstarch to thicken adequately. don’t worry about curdling the yolks—the cornstarch protects them!

Posted: 20 December 2007 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2007-11-15

May I take this opportunity to wish all of you on the forum as well as Rose a very happy Christmas . I love the way Rose participates in the problems that arise and answers so quickly, I don’t know how she does it, she must have a sixth sense!!!  I feel that we are a growing circle of friends here, all with the same interest which binds us together, even though we live all over the globe.  The wonders of modern science never fail to amaze me.  HAPPY HOLIDAYS, JEANNETE,XXXXX LOL

Posted: 20 December 2007 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-11-18

sorry if i sound dumb but where can i find the errata page… just bought the pp bible… hehehe… u all convinced me… great great book… btw, rose, would u recommend your real old-fashioned whipped cream for a pavlova??

Posted: 20 December 2007 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2007/07/corrections_the_pie_and_pastry.html

Posted: 20 December 2007 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Perhaps I am known by now to be blindly a follower of RLB and no-one else. 

I has been a year since I’ve joined the blog, I have gotten so much from it, that I am soon to declare to take early retirement from my daytime-college-degree job, trading it for a full-time kitchen job.  It was in the kitchen where I had my first jobs while attending college, and the saddest thing after getting my college degree was to leave such warm environment for a ‘real’ job.

Rose’s bibles are text-book at many culinary schools.  In fact almost everything is covered.  When I find recipes else where, I just use as inspiration and refer back to the bible for actual execution.  I don’t have a mountain or room full of books, but I do have a stash of good ones.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 20 December 2007 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

thank you for the beautiful validation of my work—inspirational as i ready myself to spend xmas vacation fine-tuning the new manuscript! you are courageous indeed to be going for a full-time kitchen job. i don’t think most ppl who have never worked in a kitchen have any concept of how physically and mentally demanding it is. everyone should spend one day or night in a busy kitchen during service and they would be on their knees to chefs and bakers for the rest of their lives!

Posted: 20 December 2007 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2007-11-22

and thank you Rose for validating all of us who toil in commercial kitchens..  for me, I’ve been mostly a through the night baker, but as hours are less, and my arm’s in a sling, I’ve been pulling day shifts, and evening service.. 
I have a wonderful chef, and great line cooks, so at the end of the night, when all is said and done, and my chef, takes the time to thank us all..  for me, that’s a great place to work..

Signature 

If chocolate were a friend it’d be one needing compliance:
but bread on the other hand is a cahtartic, soulful blend of commraderie, chemistry , and respect.

Posted: 21 December 2007 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

Just chiming in with more praise for the Pie and Pastry Bible.

Make sure to check out the sections with fillings and other things, they’re a great source of ideas for creating your own variations.

1 of 2

‹‹ mango buttercream      suet conversion ››