Scaling recipes up/down depending on pan size?
Posted: 14 May 2016 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2016-05-04

Hey everyone! I’m new to this site and I’ve already learned so much! I have a question. Has anyone figured out a formula on scaling recipes up or down depending on pan sizes? For example, if I wanted to make the Downy Yellow Butter cake in two 10” pans or two 6” pans (versus the 9” pans the recipe calls for). I typically measure ingredients by weight and I prefer to use grams. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Posted: 14 May 2016 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2007-11-18
CarlosMarquina - 14 May 2016 12:00 PM

Hey everyone! I’m new to this site and I’ve already learned so much! I have a question. Has anyone figured out a formula on scaling recipes up or down depending on pan sizes? For example, if I wanted to make the Downy Yellow Butter cake in two 10” pans or two 6” pans (versus the 9” pans the recipe calls for). I typically measure ingredients by weight and I prefer to use grams. Thanks in advance for any insight!

CARLOS MARQUINA:
  Good morning. Welcome to our baking forum Carlos. YES !!! there is a formula for what you are making inquiry about. It is called

“BAKER’S PERCENTAGES”

Carlos, look it up in various baking books you may have. Not all feature this formula but many do. If you make an attempt to learn it I will THEN help you there. Otherwise, if you have a recipe you want to do now I will do the math for you ...post recipe or ID it & where you want to place it in size amount.
  Till then Carlos enjoy the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 14 May 2016 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1442
Joined  2008-09-27

Has anyone figured out a formula on scaling recipes up or down depending on pan sizes?

Of course. Just calculate the volume of your new cake pans and divide it by the volume of the old cake pans and scale the ingredients by the ratio. It doesn’t matter how you measure your ingredients.

There’s a catch, though. Baking powder may have to be adjusted differently…Rose has a method for this in her Cake Bible.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 14 May 2016 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-04
~FRESHKID - 14 May 2016 12:24 PM

CARLOS MARQUINA:
  Good morning. Welcome to our baking forum Carlos. YES !!! there is a formula for what you are making inquiry about. It is called

“BAKER’S PERCENTAGES”

Carlos, look it up in various baking books you may have. Not all feature this formula but many do. If you make an attempt to learn it I will THEN help you there. Otherwise, if you have a recipe you want to do now I will do the math for you ...post recipe or ID it & where you want to place it in size amount.
  Till then Carlos enjoy the day.

~FRESHKID.

Hi there! Thank you so much for being willing to help! Ok I’m on the part of the Cake Bible that talks about percentages and I’m totally lost lol. Maybe if I saw the math, I’d be able to figure it out more… So for example, if I were to do the Downy Yellow Butter cake recipe in 6” pans using gram measurements, how would I calculate it?

Posted: 14 May 2016 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-04
CharlesT - 14 May 2016 03:10 PM

Has anyone figured out a formula on scaling recipes up or down depending on pan sizes?

Of course. Just calculate the volume of your new cake pans and divide it by the volume of the old cake pans and scale the ingredients by the ratio. It doesn’t matter how you measure your ingredients.

There’s a catch, though. Baking powder may have to be adjusted differently…Rose has a method for this in her Cake Bible.

Hi Charles, thanks for your reply! Maybe I did something wrong, but I tried that and it was disastrous :(. I tried making the Downy Yellow Butter Cake in two 6” pans and I figured, 6” pans will hold 66% of the volume of 9” pans, so I’ll just multiply all the ingredients by .66…

Well, I’m glad I had the foresight to place a cookie sheet on the rack below the cake pans because the batter overflowed.

Posted: 14 May 2016 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

I tried making the Downy Yellow Butter Cake in two 6” pans and I figured, 6” pans will hold 66% of the volume of 9” pans, so I’ll just multiply all the ingredients by .66…

This is exactly the way to do it, although I calculate 59%. grin Perhaps you didn’t scale the baking powder correctly.  (I’m assuming your 6” pans are 2” high.)

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 15 May 2016 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-04

Interesting… How did you get 59%? Also, do you happen to remember where in the Cake Bible Rose discusses scaling BP?

Posted: 15 May 2016 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
CarlosMarquina - 15 May 2016 12:08 AM

Interesting… How did you get 59%? Also, do you happen to remember where in the Cake Bible Rose discusses scaling BP?

Volume of 6 x 2: 56.5 cu in
Volume of 9 x 1.5: 95.4 cu in

46.5/95.4 = .592

Rose talks about the “Rose factor” for scaling BP on p. 490. However, I wasn’t suggesting that this is causing your problem, but rather you might have used close to the original amount. Rose will have you use slightly more than what would be called for by scaling because the smaller pan provides extra structure for the cake and it will tend to dome; extra baking powder weakens the structure to compensate. The increment is pretty small and you probably could ignore it if you wanted to.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 15 May 2016 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-04

Wow, this is great thanks so much for your insight! One last question… How do you figure out cubic inches of your pans?

Posted: 15 May 2016 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
CarlosMarquina - 15 May 2016 12:23 AM

Wow, this is great thanks so much for your insight! One last question… How do you figure out cubic inches of your pans?

The famous “Pie R squared” formula you learned in 5th grade. Times the height of pan. Formula:

π * (Diameter/2)^2 * height of pan

π = 3.1416

If you have Excel on your computer, I find it easiest to build a spreadsheet.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 15 May 2016 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-04

Actually… I just figured it out… Radius squared x’s pi x’s height.

Using math and baking is so awesome!!!!!!! Love it!!!

Posted: 15 May 2016 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-04

Charles thank you SO much!

Posted: 16 May 2016 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2007-11-18
CarlosMarquina - 15 May 2016 12:33 AM

Charles thank you SO much!

CARLOS MARQUINTA:
  Good morning. Carlos, have you baked this recipe with the 2, inch cake pans as of yet. If so, let us know how well you did for yourself.
If you require additional answers & or help it is available to you.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 16 May 2016 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-04

Not yet, but I will very soon! Thanks for the follow up. I’m so excited to be a part of this forum!

Posted: 21 May 2016 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-04

Update:

Tried this scaling method today and I got MUCH better results. Thanks everyone!