Cheesecake question
Posted: 21 May 2009 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-11

This is a ridiculous question…..can Rose’s cheesecake video recipe be made with a mixer instead of a food processor? I only have a mini one and using it for the delicious banana cake could have made America’s Funniest Videos, what with the batter escaping and all.

Posted: 21 May 2009 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18

VB:
  Good morning. Yes, you can do your mixing in a electric stand mixer such as a kitchen aid type. Caution use the paddle agitator.
Mix on low speed in order not to beat oxygen (air) into the custard batter.  Even if you posess a food proc large enough I would not ever employ that for cheesecake baking. It will beat large amount of air into it & the mix will not be sufficently agitated.
I will not go into the baking science of what I just said..as it is only important for me to know this. If you need further tips on cheesecakes & it’s preping post back.
  Good luck & let us know of your cake when you bake it.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 21 May 2009 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Yes you can use your mixer instead of the food processor. I always use my KA stand mixer for cheesecakes. As Cass mentioned use the paddle attachment.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 May 2009 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-17

I have made cheesecake in both the food processor and the mixer. Both work just fine. Rose uses the food processor in her video but mentions the mixer as the first method in the Cake Bible. You should have no problems with the mixer as long as your cheese is sufficiently soft for easy mixing. Good luck.

Posted: 23 May 2009 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-11

Thank you all for your help.  I did use my KA with the paddle and it worked fine.  As it was for my daughter’s birthday, we used her grandmother’s recipe that we had just gotten back that day.
It’s very simplified, tastes exactly like the one Costco sells, if anyone has ever had one, only better being homemade and without the sickening sweet frosted piping.  The recipe is so old, when it was first given to my mom, no one knew what cheesecake was! 

The only thing that could have been better was the graham cracker crust.  It tasted great but was too hard.  I did not know how compact such a crust needs to be.  I used a large spoon to pat it down.  Should I use a fork and lightly tap it down instead?  Does the batter ever go through the crust?  I’m looking forward to trying Rose’s recipe next.

Posted: 03 June 2009 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2009-06-02

Try not to beat the mixture too long with a stand mixer v. a FP because you’ll blow all kinds of air into it causing the “souffle effect.”  This will make the cake rise in the oven and it may crack as it retracts at the end of baking time or during cooling.

Posted: 07 June 2009 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-05-17

Simple recipe:
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cup grahm cracker or cookie crumbs
1/4 c butter
melt butter in bowl in micro, add crumbs and stir until mixed

Butter your cheesecake pan with spray butter
dump in your crust mixture and tamp it down-I have a small wooden tamper that you can use for little muffin crusts and such- or the bottom of a small glass
put it in the freezer for 15 min; no need to bake, that makes it hard
add your filling
wrap 2 cakes strips (like Wilton) around the pan that have been soaked for about 5 min in cold water-eliminates the need for the water bath and saves foil!!!
bake at 325* for about an hour to and hour and 15 min.  if it is done after 1 hour, pull out the rack just enough to carefully run a sharp knife around the edges to loosen it
turn off the stove, put a wooden spoon in the door for air circulation and just leave it for 1 hour.  NO CRACKS
take it out of the oven and set on a rack to cool then put in the fridge to get cold.
you can freeze it when completely cold if wrapped well; use Glad Press and Seal and foil

Magick Line pans are really the best; you will throw your Springform pan away.
When you want to unmold the cheesecake: turn on a burner and place your pan on it and genly swirl it around and count to 15. Use a large spatula (like the Wilton cake spatula that you transfer cakes with to get it off of the bottom.) the heat loosens the butter in the crust that has hardened. It might take a couple of times.

I bake cheesecakes constanly for my son’s restaurant and I have learned these tips through trial and error and other blogs. Always make sure all of your ingredients are room temp and Junior’s Cheesecake’s book have the very best recipes.

Colleen

‹‹ Strudel Napoleon?      Baklava ››