Bundt Pan Blunders
Posted: 20 May 2016 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2016-05-04

So I recently purchased one of those fancy NordicWare Heritage Bundt pans (image attached) at Williams Sonoma. So far I’ve made two different cakes, sprayed them both with the Bak-Klen spray (also sold at Williams Sonoma) and both times cake stuck to the pan… Irreparably… :(

Does anyone have experience with this particular pan? Any tips to prevent my next cake from being a total disaster?

Image Attachments
image.jpeg

Posted: 20 May 2016 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2007-11-18
CarlosMarquina - 20 May 2016 02:24 AM

So I recently purchased one of those fancy NordicWare Heritage Bundt pans (image attached) at Williams Sonoma. So far I’ve made two different cakes, sprayed them both with the Bak-Klen spray (also sold at Williams Sonoma) and both times cake stuck to the pan… Irreparably… :(

Does anyone have experience with this particular pan? Any tips to prevent my next cake from being a total disaster?

CARLOS MARQUINA:
  Good morning. Carlos, I am sorry to say that your not the only one this happens to using this style pan. Carlos, yes, there is a secret in preparing these pans successfully 101% of the time. I have not ever considered posting it, I will help you this way. I will get you on the right track which will help you. It is something I do not often do.

I do not have an exact formula to say to you.. It is subjective. All I do is this for this amount (for this sized pan) In a cup place 3, TBLS of Shortening in it. Melt it with about 1, tsp of veg oil. Then by tsp’s one at a time mix in with flour & blend as you go along. Stop when you think it is somewhat thick similar to house paint. Brush thoroughly all over the inside of your pan. Without wasting any time pour the batter in & bake. When completed I think it would be best if wait until it cools before trying to removing the cake from the pan.

One more thing I must mention to you is this ,When baking say a choco cake. Always add a slight amount of COCOA powder in this mix. So that when the cake releases it’s sides will not be Whitish in appearance.

Carlos, let us know how well you have done for yourself when you re~bake tour recipe in this pan again.

Enjoy the day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 20 May 2016 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1442
Joined  2008-09-27

I’ve used the pan several times with no problems. One person asked me how I made such a beautiful cake and I told her that I carved it with a paring knife. She believed me. wink

Anyway, I just spray it with Baker’s Joy or equivalent. These products contain flour. It looks to me as if Bak-Klene doesn’t include flour. I don’t know if that makes the difference, but you might experiment.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 21 May 2016 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-04

Hi Charles, Bak-Klen does have flour, but maybe I’m thinking the ratios aren’t as good as in the Baker’s Joy? I can’t find Baker’s Joy anywhere local to me, so I’ll have to place an Amazon order and try again.

Posted: 21 May 2016 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2008-01-24

I have an aversion to sprays so I use the classic method and have never had a sticking cake. I just rub the pan with a stick of butter and coat with flour. If you are diligent about getting into the details of the pan it works.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 22 May 2016 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-04

Tried again this time spraying the bundt pan and then evenly brushing it out as instructed by NordicWare and the cake eased out perfectly! Thank you all for the suggestions and support!

‹‹ Master Chart for Butter Cakes      Pan Height ››