Cornstarch brand preferred?
Posted: 22 May 2009 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi everyone - For the past two days, I have been attempting to retrieve a comment I saw one time in the blog regarding cornstarch and which is a good brand. I haven’t seen it in TCB, and I have looked in Ingredients and not located the information. So I have opened this as a new topic. Does anyone have an idea about that, or if it matters? Thanks, Joan

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 23 May 2009 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

JOANIE:
  Good afternoon my friend. I must tell you Joanie, Cornstarch is cornstarch. Buy the least expensive one you can buy. I buy mine at Walmarts super duper store for .88 cents per 16, oz package. In fact I just used 1, oz this morning making Miss Rose’S pastry cream for my Boston cream pie. One thing about cornstarch that is not known & it includes prof bakers…you may want keep this mind. The older it gets the more you must use to receive the desired effect. Sooo, being that it is so cheap It would behoove that baker to replace that container every 6 months. I hope I was able to answer your inquiry in a manner that satisfies you.
  Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~CASS. smile

Posted: 23 May 2009 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Dear Cass - I was hoping to hear your voice today. Thanks for your usual insight - am headed for WalMart. I think you will laugh at this: I must go to CA tomorrow for 2 weeks. Now, I am packing. First in, the Prince balloon, the 14” serrated knife, the scale, the Rose baking strips. Of course TCB will go under my arm, close to my heart. I am cracking up. All this regalia being toted by somebody who has yet to produce a risen cake! LOL. >’ . ‘<

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2009 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

JOANIE:
  Hello again. Thank you for the timely reply. First off I hope you will have a safe trip to Calif. I lived In the Hollywood/Sunset strip area there for 26 1/2 years. I moved out almost 24, years ago. Is that where you are going????. I hope you have a good time.
  Joanie, I did enjoy reading your post more than you know. You see Joanie what I am going to say isn’t very scientic I know. However my friend, there is one ingredient that is invisible but must be present at all times when baking…that is devotion & love for Baking & your baked product. Without it Joanie, trust me, it will fail for sure. And you have both I can see that. You cannot miss-out you will soon see. Remember Joanie, a house is not a home because of it’s walls ...but for it’s cakes.
  Good luck & hurry back to us ,we will surly miss you, you hear.

~CASS.

Posted: 24 May 2009 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Cass: Thank you for your unending support, and good advice. Tomorrow I am going to La Jolla in southern CA, where I lived for many years, and where my children are still. Re your comment about your words not being scientific, since when may a scientist not be a poet? You are certainly both. There is your perspicacity, and then there is your caring that extends to all of us, and of course into your baking. You seem to me to be so well balanced. This is remarkable in my opinion, and I enjoy our chats, my learned friend. I shall ‘get it’ soon, of that I am certain.
                                                                  >’ . ‘<  joan   [y’all come]

Signature