Perfect All-American Chocolate Butter Cake
Posted: 23 May 2009 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

So I gave this a try tonight…here are the pics…

this wasn’t for a big gathering or anything, i will serve it tomorrow for some close family- thats why it doesn’t look that great.
I was too much in a rush…

1)  I REMEMBERED the magic strips, and the cake came out very flat (hooray!) - but still cracked on the top 3 times on each layer. I checked them after 25 minutes, they weren’t done (BUT ALREADY were cracked). I know my oven is not too hot, it was perfect temp, i have a thermometer in it! I don’t get it.
2)  I was in a rush tonight, and didn’t let the ganache set enough before I piped it. Hence, the ‘melted’ looking shells.

Oh, if i didnt mention it, it is the perfect All american chocolate butter cake- with the chocolate glaze technique applied to the still warm layers (from the post “syrup questions”). It is frosted with the ‘nutella mousseline’, and outlined with dark chocolate ganache.

Image Attachments
phpjyZjj9PM.jpgphp8lJ1oHPM.jpg

Posted: 23 May 2009 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

No matter how it’s decorated, it looks tasty to me! Where’s the milk!

Posted: 23 May 2009 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Looks delicious Ski! The height looks perfect too. Nutella mousseline is my kids’ all time favourite buttercream. I add some extra chocolate to it too. Just because we are chocoholics LOL

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 24 May 2009 03:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

That looks delicious!  Nice job, including the decorating.  Please post back with taste test, I’m interested to hear how the ganache syrup worked out with your cake.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 24 May 2009 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Yes, please report back with the taste. It sounds amazing!! I wish I could come have a slice. smile

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 24 May 2009 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I’m eating it today lol, I can’t wait. I had to cut a LITTLLE of the top off of one of them (it domed a little) and i tasted the scrap. OH MY it was AMAZING> tastes WAY fudgier than the fudge cake (because of the ganache syrup), so I am guessing it is going to taste pretty good.

Oh, and this was the first time i even tasted Nutella and I am addicted.

Posted: 24 May 2009 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

That looks really yummy Ski! Makes me want to try Nutella mousseline - there’s always Nutella in the house.

Posted: 24 May 2009 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
skiweaver9 - 24 May 2009 01:40 PM

OH MY it was AMAZING> tastes WAY fudgier than the fudge cake (because of the ganache syrup), so I am guessing it is going to taste pretty good.

Isn’t the ganache syrup wonderful? I used to use it only if the chocolate cake was not eaten the same day it was baked but now I tend to use it on all my chocolate cakes regardless of if it is eaten the same day or not. I don’t use it on the Domingo cake though.

Signature 

Posted: 24 May 2009 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

alright here is the consensus (and a picture).  Everyone loved the cake. I liked it too BUT i still feel that I like the chocolate fudge cake better. I am not sure exactly why….when I tasted the warm pieces I cut off of this cake last night, they were still drenched in ganache, hence why I loved it so much. After it sat over night, it didn’t taste AS fudgy. The cake was still wonderfully tasteful, and very dense….Just not as fudgy as the other one.  I wonder what this cake tastes like WITHOUT the syrup ....maybe I should have done a comparison.

Anyways, all in all, very good. The nutella mousseline didn’t taste very ‘nutella-ey’ to me. I used a 1/2 cup, and i also added 1 TB vanilla to the mousseline. Should I have added more?  I noticed that any time i add a different flavor to the mousseline (like apricot, or the nutella) i still almost taste..regular mousseline. Maybe its my taste buds?

The dark chocolate ganache with the cognac was AMAZING. the best tasting thing in the WORLD!!!!!

Image Attachments
phpLnSJzYPM.jpg

Posted: 24 May 2009 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

The nutella mousseline didn?t taste very ?nutella-ey? to me. I used a 1/2 cup, and i also added 1 TB vanilla to the mousseline. Should I have added more?  I noticed that any time i add a different flavor to the mousseline (like apricot, or the nutella) i still almost taste..regular mousseline.

It’s OK to gently boost the flavoring in mousseline, just be careful it doesn’t fall out of balance with the cake. In this cake, the ganache syrup must have made the cake pretty intense, so a more strongly flavored mousseline might have been fine. 

If you love the nutella flavor but want more intensity, you can add melted chocolate and hazelnut paste instead of nutella, you’ll get a lot more flavor and far less sugar/oil.

The dark chocolate ganache with the cognac was AMAZING. the best tasting thing in the WORLD!!!!!

I couldn’t agree more, I also add cognac (or sometimes rum) to the light whipped ganache.  Everyone who tastes it swoons. 

Thanks for following up with tasting notes!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 24 May 2009 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-11-15

Looks yummy! I like nutella-Mousseline. Have you ever tried the peanutbutter version? that’s delicious too grin

Posted: 25 May 2009 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
nushera - 25 May 2009 01:57 AM

Looks yummy! I like nutella-Mousseline. Have you ever tried the peanutbutter version? that’s delicious too grin

So nice to hear from you Nushera smile

Signature 

Posted: 25 May 2009 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I was torn between using peanut butter or nutella, so when I was in the store looking around for Nutella, I saw it, and realized it was dark like chocolate, and so of course, I went that route (again, being addicted to chocolate). Next time, i Do plan to try the peanut butter version.

Posted: 26 May 2009 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2595
Joined  2007-11-15

I prefer to flavor of the Fudge cake too.  Nice level layers.  I’ve never had my cakes crack on top like that.  Have you tried baking your cakes one rack lower in your oven?

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 26 May 2009 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

no i haven’t tried that. maybe i should?