Mocha Espresso Glaze
Posted: 24 May 2009 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1358
Joined  2008-09-27

I want to adapt Rose’s Chocolate Cream Glaze to incorporate the espresso powder and Kahlua as listed in the variations on the buttercreams.  This will go on a Classic Genoise which will be flavored with Kahlua flavored syrup.  Since the espresso requires one tablespoon of hot water, and the Kahlua can be 2 to 4 tablespoons, this strikes me as a lot of fluid to be adding to the glaze.  The recipe itself only admits the addition of 1 tablespoon of Cognac.  Should I reduce the cream? (and does my intention sound reasonable?)

Thanks

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 24 May 2009 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

In retrospect, this is probably an excessive quantity of coffee flavor in the glaze, since the recipe is about half the quantity of the buttercreams.  I may stick with just the tablespoon of espresso powder dissolved in the cream, and ditch the Kahlua.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 24 May 2009 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I think there is already a glaze like this in Melting Pot (?) for the Coffee Chiffon cake(?)—Hector made it a while back, he could probably help you.

Posted: 24 May 2009 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

yes, i have been using the Killer Kahlua Chiffon Cake mocha glaze from Melting Pot, includes instant espresso powder, dark chocolate, and kahlua.  i love it.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 24 May 2009 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Matthew - 24 May 2009 06:01 AM

I think there is already a glaze like this in Melting Pot (?) for the Coffee Chiffon cake(?)—Hector made it a while back, he could probably help you.

Hmmm, I had never heard of this book of Rose’s.  Well, can’t have it delivered by this afternoon.  wink

Thanks

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 24 May 2009 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
CharlesT - 24 May 2009 06:26 PM

includes instant espresso powder, dark chocolate, and kahlua.  i love it.

This is about the first time I’ve seen the name of a recipe that I can’t actually find via Google. grin  But that sounds pretty straightforward.  I just added a Tb of espresso powder to the cream and a capfull of Kahlua.  I won’t know how well that worked until this evening.

(This is the first Genoise that I actually carried forward to completion, with the full syrup application and icing.  The quantity of syrup seems huge, but I’m trusting the recipe.)

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 May 2009 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13
CharlesT - 24 May 2009 06:33 PM

(This is the first Genoise that I actually carried forward to completion, with the full syrup application and icing.  The quantity of syrup seems huge, but I’m trusting the recipe.)

Charles, the syrup amount seemed excessive to me too at first, but always trust Rose - it is the perfect amount.

Posted: 25 May 2009 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
shimi - 25 May 2009 03:42 AM

Charles, the syrup amount seemed excessive to me too at first, but always trust Rose - it is the perfect amount.

You are so right.  The cake was a magnificent success…many said it was the best cake they’d ever had.  The inside was moist and delicately flavored; I was afraid the ganache glaze wasn’t sweet enough, but when combined with the sweetness of the cake, it was just right.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 May 2009 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations, Charles!  Glad to hear your genoise worked out well, it’s such a lovely cake, my favorite category from TCB.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 28 May 2009 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 25 May 2009 11:49 AM

Congratulations, Charles!  Glad to hear your genoise worked out well, it’s such a lovely cake, my favorite category from TCB.

Julie:  I simply had no idea what a Genoise was like. To my knowledge, I’ve never eaten one.  The test cakes I had made previously had not impressed me, but then I had completed them to full cakedom, either.  BTW, I used CI’s technique for incorporating the flour…just dumping it in at the end of the beating cycle, with the mixer on its lowest speed.  It worked quite well and the cake achieved full height.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 28 May 2009 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

technique for incorporating the flour?just dumping it in at the end of the beating cycle, with the mixer on its lowest speed.  It worked quite well and the cake achieved full height

Tthanks, good to know!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour