Do Rose’s pound cakes bake well in a 12 C bundt?
Posted: 24 May 2009 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Hi everyone,

I’ve been asked to bake cakes without frosting or nuts for next week, so I’m considering going with bundt-sytle cakes.  Do Cake Bible pound cakes suffer from being doubled and baked in a 12 cup Bundt pan?  I was hoping to use the chocolate pound cake (chocolate bread), especially the version in the Bread Bible with chocolate chips (recipe and syrup from TCB, but adds mini chips). 

Was also considering the golden butter cream cake sized up and Bundt-i-fied.  Has anyone tried either of these?  Adjustments? 

I’m realizing that I’ve never actually baked a Bundt before, any and all tips welcome!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 24 May 2009 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Julie, on p. 511 of TCB Rose gives a recipe for pound cake that’s for a Bundt pan. I’m going to make it (the lemon poppy seed variation) on Monday. It’s 3.5 times the recipe of the basic pound cake so I guess if you want to size up the chocolate bread that’s the proportion to use?

Not too sure if any changes need to be made to leavening amounts. Because of the tube in the middle of a Bundt pan, I don’t think the surface area of the batter (between the metal sides) is that different from a loaf pan. So structure-wise it still has the support from the sides of the pan. Is that making any sense?

Would love to hear from anyone else about their experience!

Posted: 24 May 2009 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Shimi, thanks so much, despite multiple readings of TCB, I somehow never knew that was there!  It’s just what I was looking for, and I agree with you on the structure, I’m going to try it with no adjustments.

Signature 

Posted: 24 May 2009 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Julie, have you checked Bakewise? I think Shirley gives an in depth explanation on this subject at the beginning of the book. I have only baked TCB pound cake recipe in a 6 cup Bundt pan with no changes at all. It turned out really well. Cass would be the perfect person to answer this question.  smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 25 May 2009 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-13
Julie - 24 May 2009 08:02 PM

Shimi, thanks so much, despite multiple readings of TCB, I somehow never knew that was there!  It’s just what I was looking for, and I agree with you on the structure, I’m going to try it with no adjustments.

I’ve had TCB for 16 years and only found the recipe 2 months ago!! smile

Posted: 25 May 2009 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Interestingly, the batter for Rose’s bundt party cake is a double recipe, except for the baking powder, which is less than double, and the optional extra flavorings are 3.5x!

Rozanne, thanks for that- I checked Bakewise out of the library, and after I returned it I was sort of waffling about whether or not to buy it.  I think maybe I should include it in my next book order…

Signature 

Posted: 25 May 2009 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-13
Julie - 25 May 2009 11:35 AM

Interestingly, the batter for Rose’s bundt party cake is a double recipe, except for the baking powder, which is less than double, and the optional extra flavorings are 3.5x!

I only realised this when I started making the lemon poppyseed version today! Since the recipe is double the original (except for baking powder and butter), I thought 3.5x the optional extras were a bit too much and ended up just doubling them. Now I have to wait till tomorrow before tasting it! So far it looks good, smells good and the amount of syrup was enough I hope. I even got the correct height!

Posted: 25 May 2009 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  603
Joined  2007-11-18

ROZANNE:
  Good afternoon my learned friend. Do not think for one moment I do not sincerly appreciate the honarable mention you posted.
I do very very much so. As for secret tricks there are a few especially for when using chocolate… mostly they are mainly reminders to insure success. zipper

Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~CASS.

Posted: 04 August 2009 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2009-07-31

Has anyone baked double the recipe of the Chocolate Bread?