argghhh - decisions decisions
Posted: 30 August 2016 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-08-30

Ive decided to upscale a cake recipe.  The original required 1 whole egg and 5 whites.  I’m now using 10 eggs but im wondering if a should use 2 whole eggs with the larger mixture, as its not quite double the original size??.. i’m thinking that one egg wont be enough.

Posted: 30 August 2016 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2007-11-18
clarewarren50 - 30 August 2016 11:45 AM

Ive decided to upscale a cake recipe.  The original required 1 whole egg and 5 whites.  I’m now using 10 eggs but im wondering if a should use 2 whole eggs with the larger mixture, as its not quite double the original size??.. i’m thinking that one egg wont be enough.

CLAREWARREN:
  Good morning. Welcome to our baking forum. Clare, We here can help you well, but it would be much easier for us if you post the recipe & it’s directions. THEN, simply state the outcome you are hoping to get by modifying it. We then can assess & modify the recipe for you according to baking science acceptable standards.

Clare, not a guarantee that we will be successful but we will do what we can for you & your expectations.

Till then young lady enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 01 September 2016 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1440
Joined  2008-09-27

Using 1 egg or 2 aren’t your only choices. If you’ve scaled the recipe up by, say , 50%, then you can get half an egg by mixing the yoke and white together, and then weighing out 25 grams.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 June 2017 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2017-01-05

To properly scale any recipe all your ingredients must be measured by weight, preferably metric weight. Individual egg weight varies considerably. The weight of any two yolks will not be the same. The weight of any two egg whites will not be the same. 

This past month I’ve baked countless chiffon cakes. I weigh all my ingredients. One egg yolk weighed 28 g; another weighed 32.  Using the same recipes some cakes used 7 eggs; another used 8 eggs.  Much to my surprise, one of the cakes only used 6 eggs. That’s how dramatically different the weight of individuals can be from one another.  I noticed a couple of years ago that the large eggs from Trader Joe’s weigh less than the eggs from other retailers in my area. Not surprising, the cake that used 8 eggs were Trader Joe’s “large” eggs.

Posted: 06 August 2017 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2017-06-28

Adding a whole egg to your cake will change it.  Most egg white cakes are done to preserve the pristine color.  Adding even one white will alter the appearance.  I’m thinking that you are beating the whites to stiff peaks then folding in the dry ingredients.  The addition of that yolk will not allow that to happen.  The fat in the egg yolk will keep it from forming stiff peaks.  Any fat, including grease left over on a beater or an unclean bowl, will keep the whites from holding that stiff texture, as in meringue.  Chiffon cakes like mentioned by clarewarren50 is a different type of cake.  Can you give more information?