Soft and moist yellow cake
Posted: 25 May 2009 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-25

I have been baking cakes for many years and realize that my yellow cakes are very dry.  I don’t overcook them.  What else could I be doing wrong?

Posted: 26 May 2009 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Hi Ellijaynan and welcome.

Which recipe are you using for your yellow cakes?  Are you weighing your ingredients?  Are you using an oven thermometer?

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 26 May 2009 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-25

No to both of your questions.  My oven has baked pound cakes flawlessly so I assume it is working correctly.  I do not weigh my ingredients, just measure.  I understand that the humidity can play a part in how much flour I use.  I have eaten white and yellow cakes that are wonderful and I can’t make one like that.  I make a chocolate cake that is both light and moist.

Posted: 26 May 2009 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  603
Joined  2007-11-18

ELLIJAYNAN:
  Good morning & welcome to our baking forum.  Recently another member asked the same question, & here is the solution I suggested. You are allowed to subst up to 33% of the gran. sugar with honey. Honey attracts the moisture in the air & is also anti~stalling as well. I just do 20% more or less & that works very well for me. It works, it has never failed me. Try it once & see for yourself.  As far as the effect moister in the air is concerned with flour, the formula will require slightly less hydration.
  Good luck to you & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 26 May 2009 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I think more often than not it’s the recipe.  Which have you tried?

Posted: 01 June 2009 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Shirley Corriher’s “Bakewise” has a discussion of what makes cakes moist, plus a recipe for a “Moist and Sweet Yellow Cake.” She uses part oil, part butter, and a lot of sugar.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara