Cream Pie - Help Please
Posted: 21 December 2007 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

I am making a banana cream pie and a chocolate cream pie for an open house tomorrow evening.  I have already made my crumb crusts, they are sitting in the refrigerator.

If I make the pie fillings in the morning and prepare the pies, can I also pipe on the whipped cream topping around 10 AM?  I don’t plan to serve until after dinner hour, but I want this out of the way ias early as possible.

Or is it best to wait and put the whipped cream topping on right before serving?

Thanks!

MrsM

Posted: 21 December 2007 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

I forgot to say that I am considering using Rose’s Stabilized Whipped Cream (page 553 Pie and Pastry Bible).  I have used this on cakes and it does not water out.  I am wondering if it would work as well on a pie?

MrsM

Posted: 22 December 2007 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi MrsM - Why don’t you put your stabilized whipped cream in a patry bag and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to use it… then when you want to serve you can just zoom, zoom, zoom pipe your border?  It takes like what 20 seconds?  That’s what I would most likely do.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 December 2007 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

I ended up putting on the whipped cream early in the day, and it was just fine.  People were swooning over the banana cream pie - it was Rose’s recipe in the Pie and Pastry Bible.  I think what made that recipe over the top was the brief marinating of the bananas in a little orange juice/lemon juice.  Thanks Rose!

MrsM