Where can I find glass cake domes?
Posted: 27 May 2009 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

It would be nice to have a clear glass dome to go over my largest cake pedestal. Specifically, I’m looking for a dome that is about 14” diameter, about 8” high. I’ve looked on the websites of Kitchen Krafts (alas, Sweet Celebrations is out of business). I’ve looked on Amazon, Williams-Sonoma, and I’ve done a generic google search. Most of my search results are for both cake pedestals and domes that accommodate a 9- or 10-inch cake that is no more than 4 inches high.

Anybody know where I could get bigger domes? I’d even be willing to consider acrylic, but I prefer glass, since it doesn’t scratch as easily.

Posted: 27 May 2009 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Christine, have you tried restaurant supply stores?

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 28 May 2009 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

CHRISTINE~S:
  Good morning. I have various sources for baking supplies. I have spoken to these 2 places, they have a 12 x 6, In. dome in plastic, made in Germany for 27 bucks. If interested in speaking to them Call FANTES supply house in PHILA at 1~ 800 443 2683
ask for baking supply dep’t for Jean.

At Surfas supply in Culver City, Calif ( I lived in this city many years ago..home of MGM film co) they have 13 X 6, 1n dome for about 14, bucks if interested call David at (1) 866 799 4770

Also locate TUPPERWARE and see what they have. I have other supply houses, if you do not make out let me know & I will call them.

Good luck & have a nice day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 28 May 2009 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Thank you for your suggestions, everybody. Freshkid, I live about 20 minutes from Surfas. I looked on their website and saw nothing, but I see from your information that the website and brick-and-mortar location may not be exactly the same. So, I will go there and check it out for myself. I don’t need much of an excuse to go to Surfas—one of my favorite stores in the world!

Posted: 29 May 2009 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

This query reminds me of an early cake experience I had as a fairly new bride… I baked a cake to serve to friends we were having over for lunch after church one Sunday.  Wanting to make the cake the center of attention, I carefully covered it with a glass dome and placed it on display under a ceiling light.  When we arrived home several hours later, all the frosting was melted and sliding off the cake.  This was before I got my first KitchenAid so I know I didn’t decorate that cake with any of Rose’s buttercreams, but I just thought I’d share this little tidbit just in case you were ever tempted to do the same.

smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com