Dry Milk Question
Posted: 27 December 2016 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-12-27

In the Bread Bible, Rose recommends using Baker’s Special Dry Milk from King Arthur, and explains how it differs from instant dried milk.  I recently got some Bob’s Red Mill Dry Milk and am wondering if it is similar to King Arthur’s, i.e., it’s been high-heat treated so as to deactivate the protease, or is it more like standard instant milk? Thanks in advance for any help here.

Posted: 27 December 2016 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1439
Joined  2008-09-27

Baker’s Special Dry Milk isn’t intended for drinking, but Bob’s Red Mill is, so I think it’s probably not the high temperature variety.

That said, you can certainly use it and it will work fine; I’ve seen photos bread made with the high temp dry milk vs regular dry milk and the difference just isn’t that huge. But then, if the dry milk isn’t high temp, there’s no need to use dry milk at all; just use milk as the liquid and scald it, if you wish.

Another option is to use buttermilk powder you can find at the store. Buttermilk already has the enzyme deactivated, so the problem doesn’t arise.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 13 March 2017 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2017-01-05

No, Bob’s Red Mill dry milk powder is not high heat treated.  It will not produce the results of baker’s high heat dry milk powder.  Baker’s high heat dry milk powder is not sold in stores. You have to purchase it online or through a food services supplier.