Tweaking a Rose Recipe - From Sweet to Savoury Scones
Posted: 11 January 2017 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-01-11

I’ve recently made Rose’s recipe for Flaky Cream Cheese Scones, and was hoping to swap out the plain cream cheese for some savoury cream cheese, and replace the lemon & blueberries with paprika and bacon.

I’m worried that the fat from the bacon might have an impact on the rise (ex. extra fat/moisture) of the scones - should I be concerned if I’ve cooked and cooled the bacon before adding to the mix? I don’t want to waste ingredients!

The recipe also calls for a little bit of honey; I was going to keep that, even with the savoury ingredients, unless someone can recommend a substitute!

Thanks!

Posted: 10 March 2017 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-04-13

Good question. My go to scone base is Rose’s Classic Irish Cream Scones. It calls for 1 cup of raisins and a tablespoon of grated lemon zest as the flavoring agents, however I’ve swapped those out for other inclusions, sweet or savory (parmesan cheese, herbs, raspberries, ginger, etc) and it has worked quite well. I would not be worried about adding cooked and cooled bacon, there is minimal moisture in that, and I’m sure would be quite nice. I would also keep the honey in, as I have tried taking it out and the scones just don’t brown much. One of my favorite savory blends is pepperoni and parmesan cheese.  Good luck!