cake rises but falls while cooling
Posted: 10 February 2017 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-02-10

My favorite cake in the world is Maida Heatter’s 86-proof cake, but lately the whole thing (i.e., not just the center) seems to sink in the pan while it’s cooling. The toothpick comes out clean; the oven temperature is fine; and the baking soda is fresh. The cake looks high and normal when I take it out of the oven, but then it sinks down, almost as if it had no leavening in it whatsoever.

Any ideas? I’ve been wondering about the baking temperature. Most cakes bake at 350, but this one calls for 325. Could that be a factor? Though as I said, it looks great initially.

Posted: 10 February 2017 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2007-11-18
Nanw - 10 February 2017 03:06 PM

My favorite cake in the world is Maida Heatter’s 86-proof cake, but lately the whole thing (i.e., not just the center) seems to sink in the pan while it’s cooling. The toothpick comes out clean; the oven temperature is fine; and the baking soda is fresh. The cake looks high and normal when I take it out of the oven, but then it sinks down, almost as if it had no leavening in it whatsoever.

Any ideas? I’ve been wondering about the baking temperature. Most cakes bake at 350, but this one calls for 325. Could that be a factor? Though as I said, it looks great initially.
[/quote

NANW:
  Good afternoon. Welcome to our baking forum. We are sorry to learn of your baking disappointment. Nan, here is the cause of your disappointment. 1, tsp of baking soda is excessive for this recipe. Reduce it to 3/4, tsp. After you bake this recipe again come back & post how well you have done for your self by coming here for help.

Good luck to you & happy St. Valentine;s day to you as well.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 11 February 2017 03:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-02-09

why dont you try my instant recipie… ?

Whisk 1/4 cup flour, 5 tablespoons sugar, add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, you’ll need 1 egg, three tablespoons milk, three tablespoons of vegetable oil and a dash of vanilla extract along with salt in a huge mug till smooth. Microwave it till its puffed, about 2 minutes.

yu can bake more, by simple Changing ingredients, and adding more stuff in it… but the method remains Same.

Signature 

papas bakeria

Posted: 11 February 2017 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1441
Joined  2008-09-27

Sounds like a lack of structure. Might you have switched brands of flour? Overleavening can weaken the structure, but we’ll assume that Heatter knows what she’s doing, particularly since this recipe used to work for you.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 14 February 2017 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2017-01-05

There are several causes for sinking while cooling:

Ingredients not warm enough or same temperature. Use an instant read thermometer to check temperature of ingredients.  Everything should be in the 68-70 degree range. Make sure all ingredients are close to same temperature.

Butter and sugar not properly emulsified.  If your not under mixing, then butter may be too cold to properly emulsify.

Be sure you beat the eggs in well after each addition. Also, be sure eggs are not too cold—again 68-70 degrees is optimal.  Emulsion is the key—without it your cake will fail.

Too much sugar. Sugar is hygroscopic.  It competes with flour to absorb moisture.  When heated, sugar will release moisture. Measuring by weight will ensure proper ratio of ingredients.

Under baking. I don’t like the toothpick test. I prefer the doing spring test. Gently press the center of the cake with your finger. If the dent springs right back, the cake is done. If the dent is slow to spring back or does not spring back the cake itnt backed

Too much leavening will cause the cake to rise too rapidly, then sink as it cools.

325 is actually a better temperature for most cakes. Just be sure you oven temperature is actually 325 degrees.

Posted: 15 February 2017 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-01-05

Don’t Cool the Cake at once. After baking slowly slowly decrease its temperature and than put it into the fridge for at least 1 hour.
Reduce the quantity of Baking soda and add some eggs in it.

Thanks.

Signature 

Custom Cakes Cambridge