How to make a cake dense
Posted: 02 March 2017 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2009-06-30

Hi—

Does anyone know how to take a cake recipe and make it produce a cake that is both denser and heavier? I’ve purchased some absolutely delicious cake slices recently, all from a local organic baker, and they’re all dense. They include their ingredients on the side of their containers, and when I try to bake the same types of cakes using recipes that contain the same ingredients, mine turn out light and fluffy. I imagine that the weight and denseness has something to do with the proportions of ingredients, rather than the ingredients themselves. I’ve seen a photo of all the ways to vary ingredients to change the texture of a cookie, but I’ve never seen anything comparable for the texture of a cake. Does anything like that exist?

Thanks,
Tim

Posted: 02 March 2017 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  726
Joined  2007-11-18
Tim - 02 March 2017 04:34 PM

Hi—

Does anyone know how to take a cake recipe and make it produce a cake that is both denser and heavier? I’ve purchased some absolutely delicious cake slices recently, all from a local organic baker, and they’re all dense. They include their ingredients on the side of their containers, and when I try to bake the same types of cakes using recipes that contain the same ingredients, mine turn out light and fluffy. I imagine that the weight and denseness has something to do with the proportions of ingredients, rather than the ingredients themselves. I’ve seen a photo of all the ways to vary ingredients to change the texture of a cookie, but I’ve never seen anything comparable for the texture of a cake. Does anything like that exist?

Thanks,
Tim

TIM:
  Good afternoon. I must say I never would have thought I would ever come across a question on how to make a cake more dense. The question has ALWAYS been the opposite.

Now then Tim, just either reduce the baking powder somewhat… or omit it. As you know pound cakes generally have no chemical leaveners in them. A VERY DENSE baked article.. Understand it is easier to do this if you post the recipe or identify it so we can scrutinize it first. Because there may be other obsticles involved like baking powder & ete.

Anyway Tim, I hope I was able to help you today. Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 02 March 2017 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  680
Joined  2008-01-24

If you are using cake flour or bleached flour switch to unbleached all purpose flour. Probably what your organic baker is using. I don’t like fluffy cake either.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 15 March 2017 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  200
Joined  2010-01-18

I was surprised too - since for me the elusive goal was always to make light, fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth textured cakes ... like a mix but without the nasty chemicals! I only achieved success when I began to make Rose’s High Ratio Cakes!! However - if you make a regular “Lean” cake, and use regular AP flour (especially high gluten Canadian flour!), you will get a heavy dense cake. If you decide you don’t like it use it as a doorstop! But hey - sometimes even I want a denser cake too. smile They have their place.  Like for Kids’ Birthday cupcakes, so they don’t fall apart after one bite. Or for Cake Pops! Rose’s Pound Cake works ok for those too.

Posted: 31 March 2017 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2016-08-27

I would say more dense is less leavener used like the traditional pound cakes. I recently found a Youtube channel called Kitchen Conundrums that has lots of info on and and one in particular about a dense vs light cake.