Using Cake Flour
Posted: 08 March 2017 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-03-08

I live in Hong Kong, and the quality of American all-purpose flour we get here is variable.  Sometimes the flour is so stale that cakes actually smell bad.  Surprisingly the cake flour is much better. A lot of cake recipes on the internet seem to prefer all-purpose flour.  Would it work if I just substituted cake flour instead?  Are there any adjustments I would have to make?  I would really appreciate some advice on this as I have almost given up baking cakes.

Posted: 09 March 2017 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  726
Joined  2007-11-18
bina - 08 March 2017 10:16 PM

I live in Hong Kong, and the quality of American all-purpose flour we get here is variable.  Sometimes the flour is so stale that cakes actually smell bad.  Surprisingly the cake flour is much better. A lot of cake recipes on the internet seem to prefer all-purpose flour.  Would it work if I just substituted cake flour instead?  Are there any adjustments I would have to make?  I would really appreciate some advice on this as I have almost given up baking cakes.

BINA:
  Good morning. Welcome to our baking circle. Bina, the only thing I can say to you is that many recipes will work employing cake flour instead of AP flour. Especially if the fat content in the recipe used is a solid fat like butter, margarine, shortening or lard.

If you can purchase this ingredient “VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN” OR if you can get either “BREAD FLOUR” or “HI~GLUTEN” flour will help you as well. I would try approx. 15% of the total flour weight with this flour added to the cake flour…blend well together with the salt & chemical leaveners by sifting twice.

Well Bina let us know how it works out for you. Also Bina feel free to post your recipes as well if you require assistance to change them in any way.

Till then enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 11 March 2017 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1440
Joined  2008-09-27

There’s no reason to buy American AP flour; surely there must be some equivalent available in Hong Kong? The British have “Plain Flour” and Germans refer to Type 550: these are reasonable substitutes for AP flour.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 11 March 2017 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2017-01-05
bina - 08 March 2017 10:16 PM

You can substitute cake flour for all purpose flour in a cake recipe gram for gram. Do not add anything, especially vital gluten to cake flour. High gluten levels in cake produce very undesirable results.  Just substitute cake flour for all purpose in the same amount by weight, not volume.

Self-raising flour is also an good substitute. Three years ago chefs at King Arthur Flour’s test kitchen ran cake tests of a variety of flours.  They found the self-rising flour produced an excellent cake.

http://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2014/05/27/the-a-b-cs-of-cake-flour/