Sugar Cookies- help
Posted: 11 April 2017 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2017-04-11

Hi Everyone,

I’m new here. I specifically sought out a baking forum where I could ask for help from other bakers with my sugar cookies.

I’ve attached a photo of two of my sugar cookies. Both are from the same batch of dough, baked on the same sheet. I usually bake 6 on a sheet and at least one on each sheet comes out as a “balloon”. It’s super frustrating, and since I have 200 of these to bake, it’s prolonging my baking time substantially.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Christine

Image Attachments
IMG_7332.JPG

Posted: 12 April 2017 01:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1442
Joined  2008-09-27

Did you perhaps have to re-roll the dough before cutting out the one that ballooned?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 12 April 2017 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2007-11-18
CupcakeMiss - 11 April 2017 10:48 PM

Hi Everyone,

I’m new here. I specifically sought out a baking forum where I could ask for help from other bakers with my sugar cookies.

I’ve attached a photo of two of my sugar cookies. Both are from the same batch of dough, baked on the same sheet. I usually bake 6 on a sheet and at least one on each sheet comes out as a “balloon”. It’s super frustrating, and since I have 200 of these to bake, it’s prolonging my baking time substantially.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Christine

CUPCAKEMISS:
  Good Morning Christine. Welcome to our baking forum.  I once had this problem with my shortbread cookies. I solved it by “PRICKING” the surface with a fork in 2, places.
This maneuver lets the steam escape….otherwise this steam condition will cause the puffing in the top cookie surface.

I hope this helps…Enjoy the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 21 June 2017 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2017-01-05

I know this is an old post, but I thought I’d add a few tips in case others wanted help with sugar cookies.

1. Butter fat: a butterfat content of about 83% is best.  I like Plugra.  If using a heritage recipe (grandma’s recipe) then use regular American style butter. Older recipes were not developed with higher butterfat butters.
2. Butter temperature: butter that is too warm will melt during creaming. This creates spread in a cookie. Take the temperature of the butter because “room temperature” is absolutely meaningless.  I like my butter around 68 degrees and no more than 70 degrees.
3. Baking powder: cut out sugar cookies will not hold their shape if chemical leavening is used.  Omit the baking powder.  The creaming of sugar and butter is mechanical leavening. Properly cream butter and sugar is sufficient. You do not need baking powder in a sugar cookie.
4. Over mixing: creaming butter and sugar is mechanical leavening.  It’s achieved by incorporating air into the butter. Too much air will cause the cookie puff up. After creaming, mix and other ingredients until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
5. Dough temperature: chilled dough keeps is shape.  After mixing shape the dough into a rectangle. Wrap and chill for a couple of hours or overnight.  Roll and cut out children go. Refrigerate cut out cookies for 10 to 15 minutes before baking.
6. Dough thickness: do not roll dough too thick.  The thicker the dough the longer it takes to set. The longer to set, the more the dough will spread.  Roll between 1/8” and 1/4”.
7. Baking sheet: do not grease the baking sheet. Greased sheets will cause spreading. Most cookies bake fine on ungreased cookie sheets.  Parchment paper works quite well. I am not a fan of the slipat mats for sugar and shortbread cookies; they transfer too much heat. I prefer a jellyroll pan lined with parchment paper.